I am looking for information about game developing

FreddyEdge

Hi there. I just found about the project 0AD today and it seems a lot intresting that is open source and many people work together to produce this nice result.

Straight in the subject. I have no experience of computer programing and I have just started learning blender to produce some very basic 3d models. I would like to

learn about game development and the overall process of creating a game (how it is set up, how it works, how the code is built and implemented etc.). Though I sadly

cannot afford a school to study about the topic. I am an individual who just wants to learn about the process of game making. So I just thought to ask you for some inforamtion

so maybe at some later point I could even contribute to your game.

The information I want to ask you about are : how a game is made ? how it works ? how could I learn from studying your project ? are there any books/videos/tutorials that could explain

the overall process of game making (like this one) ? where could I start learning about game making ? Also, could anyone of you afford a little time of explaining the above things to me ?

I would like to make a very simple game of my own for start. An Real Time Strategy. I don't care about the quality, I just want to learn the process and to be able to build a working game

that could run in windows. I have searched a bit in the files of other games (Civilization 4) but I couldn't understand anything. I have also downloaded visual studio and I would like to study the code of your game. 

So in conclusion : where can I start learning about game making ? (but in detail. I need guidance and explanation of all the process.) What tools do I need ? (How could I create my own very basic RTS game ?). 

Thanks in advance for any information that you could share with me. (I love the project you are currently working).

I'm not going to answer all the question. The line about no programming experience.

Enjoy programming. Programming is necessary for making a game. Start small and work your way up to harder projects, and you'll be fine. Your game is going to need code, graphics and sound (which also requires code to show / play them). To make it easier to learn (and so you can jump right in):

Start high work low. JavaScript is a good example of a high level programming language. Basically, most of the stuff is done for you. It is well documented and everything. Some of what you can do in JavaScript carries over to C++ and other languages as well. Functions, classes, variables, the basics basically.

Videos to start learning programming... The Coding Train on YouTube. He uses a JavaScript library called p5.js. It basically simplifies the browsers features. It was designed for this no experience. They have a web editor now so you don't need to set anything up to learn programming. He's kinda weird but, it'll get you the basics.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRqwX-V7Uu6Zy51Q-x9tMWIv9cueOFTFA

He does coding challenges for some games and covers basic physics engines in quite a few of his other videos. He won't teach you everything but, with the coding challenges, you should have a game made and understand it. :) They are "simple" games but some are actually quite hard to do.

Once you've got a grip on the basics, maybe someone else can give you advice. I'm pretty much a JavaScript only type of person. I hope I helped in some way.

• Like 1

Thanks SirPope, I will check that tutorials for sure. Though I wasn't that clear. I have just a bit knowledge about programming because we had a class in school. We did some pseudocode. I have also checked action script and a bit C. Though only very basic stuff, like printing, creating functions, if statements, loops etc. I don't know how this can help me, O just wanted to clear that I am not a complete newbie, though I don't know intermediate level programing.

Understood. His coding challenges (or the nature of code series) is the better ones to watch then. I mainly wanted to share the editor, you don't need anything to get started. It is always nice to brush up on the basics though. If you can figure out p5's function reference you can figure out pretty much any other one. He also teaches Java or 'processing' (a Java library).

He's got tutorials to manage a lot of units at once and covers path-finding. I like that he leaves things up to you to do and figure out (sometimes even fix).

In his live-streams, he programs 'on the fly' style. You get to see the thought process kinda unfold. He's also trying to make a video out of it so the retakes can get annoying. Games (and pretty much everything) starts with chaos and end up structured. I don't know a better example of that then watching his streams and seeing the result.

15 hours ago, FreddyEdge said:

Hi there. I just found about the project 0AD today and it seems a lot intresting that is open source and many people work together to produce this nice result.

Straight in the subject. I have no experience of computer programing and I have just started learning blender to produce some very basic 3d models. I would like to

learn about game development and the overall process of creating a game (how it is set up, how it works, how the code is built and implemented etc.). Though I sadly

cannot afford a school to study about the topic. I am an individual who just wants to learn about the process of game making. So I just thought to ask you for some inforamtion

so maybe at some later point I could even contribute to your game.

The information I want to ask you about are : how a game is made ? how it works ? how could I learn from studying your project ? are there any books/videos/tutorials that could explain

the overall process of game making (like this one) ? where could I start learning about game making ? Also, could anyone of you afford a little time of explaining the above things to me ?

I would like to make a very simple game of my own for start. An Real Time Strategy. I don't care about the quality, I just want to learn the process and to be able to build a working game

that could run in windows. I have searched a bit in the files of other games (Civilization 4) but I couldn't understand anything. I have also downloaded visual studio and I would like to study the code of your game. 

So in conclusion : where can I start learning about game making ? (but in detail. I need guidance and explanation of all the process.) What tools do I need ? (How could I create my own very basic RTS game ?). 

Thanks in advance for any information that you could share with me. (I love the project you are currently working).

unity and unreal are mainstream tools for gamedev nowadays. there are free guides on the net

you can also just select a language, some popular opengl framework and just code a game. id recommend it for learning, but in the long run you might want to learn unreal or unity because they handle a lot of stuff for you.

Edited by thankforpie
  • Like 1