Zooming with a touchpad

sideburns

I've just tried playing this on a laptop with a touchpad and ran into a problem: if I move my finger across the pad just right, it zooms in or out instead of moving the cursor, but I can't control when it happens or reliably reverse it.  (I'm using Fedora 22 and Xfce if it matters.)  I understand that this is OS dependent, but I'd like to know how this is controlled when you're using a mouse or trackball so that I can ask about it on the appropriate Linux support form.  Once I've learned how to control this, I'll come back here and report so that other Linux users can benefit from it.

Zooming is done via the scroll function of the mouse. So if you use a touchpad with two-finger scroll enabled, and there's something else on the touchpad next to your index finger (a different finger, some grease layer, another part of your hand, ...) it can interpret dragging as scrolling, and zoom instead.

If you use a touchpad with a dedicated scrolling area (f.e. the right side of the touchpad is used for scrolling), then you should avoid moving over that right side.

• Like 1