Gýnē Athēnaïkós?

Fabricius

I'm not sure how much this counts as a "bug", and it may be nothing at all, but...

The Athenian woman unit is named Gýnē Athēnaïkós. I would think that this ought to be Gýnē Athēnaïkḗ, for gender agreement. But, I thought, perhaps Athēnaïkós might be the ending for both masculine and feminine, as with some other adjectives. I wasn't able to find the word on Perseus, however.

For the record, my Greek textbook gives Athēnaĩos, Athēnaíā, Athēnaĩon as the standard adjective for Athenian, though I don't doubt that Athēnaïkós is a valid alternative.

Am I just tilting at windmills here? I lack the proficiency with Greek to be sure.

Athenaia would be the correct in modern Greek, it means woman of/who lives in Athens. Athenaike is used for a "female" object and Athenaikos for a "male" object (so Athenaios is the correct one for Athenian male units in a similar fashion).

The same should be true for ancient Greek, and several Greek names in the game estrange me. But there were various dialects and changes over time and on top of that my ancient Greek were terrible at school, let alone now years later, so I can't be sure on anything.

Hi Fabricius, you're correct indeed. I think I remember somebody already reporting that mistake (unless it was for Spartan women, can't remember).

I'm going to go through the Greek names and see what can be fixed :) I'll keep you updated!

• Like 1

I did what I could in this commit

I may have made mistakes on accentuation (because, y'know, accents :D) and I tried to be consistent (all χ go kh instead of ch, η is ē and not è nor i, etc.). It doesn't seem to be possible to add carets (^) to o macrons (ō) which I used to transcribe ω. So either I shamelessly replaced ῶ by ώ either I ignored the accent.

Please report any mistake I could have made :)

• Like 2

I did what I could in this commit

I may have made mistakes on accentuation (because, y'know, accents :D) and I tried to be consistent (all χ go kh instead of ch, η is ē and not è nor i, etc.). It doesn't seem to be possible to add carets (^) to o macrons (ō) which I used to transcribe ω. So either I shamelessly replaced ῶ by ώ either I ignored the accent.

Please report any mistake I could have made :)

Well, circumflexes only appear on long vowels or diphthongs, so the information a macron gives is already implicitly there. õ or ô works fine in itself.

As for the rest, I'm hardly even a beginner student of Greek, so I can't really comment.