Suggestion for multiplayer/lobby common problem help

Drin

Hey all,

Yesterday I successfully played my first multiplayer game through the lobby, which was fantastic. Had a great time, so big thanks to everyone that helped get it running!

I did, however, run into one problem. I tried setting up multiplayer games with my brother multiple times on this alpha and the last one with no success, until yesterday when a very helpful person in the lobby told me how to set up port forwarding. As a non-coder, a casual gamer, and not that tech-savvy of a person I've never had to use or even heard of port-forwarding before. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one to experience this problem, especially as the audience for 0 AD grows. A lot of us casual gamers enjoy playing but really have no idea how to troubleshoot.

The article on how to set up a multiplayer game was helpful, but I do have two more suggestions.

1. Is there a way to make the "disconnect-- unknown error" messages a little more clear? Or to give a list of possible common problems so somebody like me can have some idea where to start?

2. Perhaps the WFGbot in the lobby could have a default chat saying something like "make sure your port forwarding and firewall are set up to play 0 AD, more information available here" and link to the article on multiplayer games?

Once again, thanks so much! I just want to make sure that the multiplayer community has a chance to really thrive and that new players aren't turned off instantly by being unable to connect.

• Like 3

The game actually includes UPnP now, which is intended to handle the port forwarding automatically when hosting a game (obviously it needs to be enabled and supported by the router). If that's not working, it would be helpful to see the logs so we can diagnose it. If you can acquire mainlog.html from the game's log directory on a system that can't host with the lobby, that would be great: GameDataPaths

Also it was suggested to have a notice about port forwarding for the lobby but I think having UPnP made it seem unnecessary.