CPU usage 100%

JeanClaudeTergal

Hi!

I'm a new member of the community.

I've experienced 0ad recently.

I've not started to play yet but I've already a question.

I'm using kubuntu (precise pangolin) and the version of 0ad who stands in the official repository (I don't know the version number...)

The cpu usage is 100%.

The game seems run correctly.

Is this cpu usage regular?

Is it possible to limit the framerate?

Thank you!

for me it sounds like you 2 have misunderstood him…

I think he wanted the answer for this question: "Is it normal that the game consumes every cpu cycle it can grab, even if nothing happens like in the match setup screen?"

Am I right?

look at the screenshot(in the spoiler): even in the menu the game uses 100% of 2 cores(i’ve disabled dividing cpu load through number of cores to show it better)

that behavior causes my notebook to overheat even when i let the game idle in the menu

it looks like the game does some busy waiting or polling, which is quite bad

0ad_idle_cpu_load.jpg

This is expected behaviour. It could probably be changed to not do this, however during game play it is likely to need a lot of cpu power anyway so I don't know whether it is worth spending time on this, I can't see many reasons for a player to sit in the menu unless waiting for a multiplayer game to start. Having a laptop which overheats under load is a hardware problem.