Random blank screen

slayer11392

Alright so i downloaded this game this afternoon and it worked fine after it installed, i played for a little while then i had to get off. When i tried to played again latter it just went to a blank screen. I re installed it and tried again but it went to the blank screen again. When it goes to the blank screen i cant alt tab out of it or start the task manager i have to restart my computer. I'm wondering if its something that is wrong with the files or is it my computer? Any feed back would be helpful.

i'm not very computer literate so i'm guessing that OS is operating system which is windows 7 and the blank screen is as soon as i open the game when i select the short cut or anything it just goes to a blank screen.

Indeed that's what I meant :)

Are you on a laptop or a system where you have multiple display ports (maybe a dual-monitor setup or TV/monitor)? The blank screen with no response sounds very strange, almost like the display has been switched when the game starts which is why you see nothing happening (if you hear the game's music, I'd say this is definitely the case). Otherwise, maybe there is some error you can see by running the game in windowed mode instead of fullscreen, following the instructions here.

It might help us to have a look at your %appdata%\0ad\logs\system_info.txt file, if you want to attach that here.

Indeed that's what I meant :)

Are you on a laptop or a system where you have multiple display ports (maybe a dual-monitor setup or TV/monitor)? The blank screen with no response sounds very strange, almost like the display has been switched when the game starts which is why you see nothing happening (if you hear the game's music, I'd say this is definitely the case). Otherwise, maybe there is some error you can see by running the game in windowed mode instead of fullscreen, following the instructions here.

It might help us to have a look at your %appdata%\0ad\logs\system_info.txt file, if you want to attach that here.

Thanks it works now that i switched it into windowed mode. Thanks so much for the help on getting it working, of the few minutes of played time that i have had this game is amazing, i am a huge fan of AOE, and i like that this game runs and plays like it and i cant wait to see what the finished product is like. Again thanks for the help.

Thanks it works now that i switched it into windowed mode.

I'm glad it worked for you, still it would be useful to know something about your system, so we can prevent this happening to others :) There's probably a better solution than forcing users to windowed mode, and if people encounter this bug, they might just decide to stop playing. If you can attach your system_info.txt, it may contain some clues.

• 10 months later...

I am having the same problem like historic_bruno.

I am going to try the windowed mode as you guys suggest, but since i am here to help your alpha.

I'd like to post the file you are requesting, but for some reason, the file isn't in my game-folder...

You sure you gave us the right name?

This is an old topic, so that has changed :) It sounds like it could be your AV/firewall software interferring, now that you mention it I have heard of a similar problem where the game pauses when the firewall prompts the user to do something, so the game appears unable to start. The solution would be to add a rule for 0 A.D. or whatever needs to be done with Comodo to make it stop prompting you. On the other hand, it would be nice if we could do something to prevent this confusion (maybe go from fullscreen to minimized when another window tries to steal focus?)

Anyway, if you can confirm that is what's happening, it would be helpful.