Hi, new here + questions

iap

Hi, guys.

I just yesterday downloaded the game (alpha 7) and played it. It looks wonderful, and I liked it so much. After reading the forum, I've noticed some users say it's too slow or gameplay is wrong, but NO, altho there are lots of things to do, the gameplay as it is, is extremely enjoyable!

I like the "slowness" of the game, and the fact that I need to take things easy and build an economy before charging.

The blue and red borders are weird to get used to, mostly because of my gameplay in most of the games like this is to hide behind attack towers (I kind of playing tower defense with the opponent, until he run out of soliders), so it ready was slow and hard for me to build a tower near the opponent base. But thats not a bad thing.

After conquering the AI opponent the game did not finish, and I had the time to wxplore the map. I don't remember what map it was, but it was rendered wonderfully, I actually flt sorry for not "using" the whole map, and sorry again for staining such a beautiful scenery with warriors (and beautiful weman) blood.

Now for the questions, If you can answer:

- is there a portable version of the game? Can I configure it to be portable?

gameplay

- Is there a distinction between hunters and warriors? Now I send all of them to fight and hunt. Is there a way to make hunters look and hunt food all the time, instead of me telling them witch animal to hunt?

- Is there a way to heal fighters?

- About formation: What are the pros and cons of each formation?

Well, I probebly have many more questions and suggestions, but that's it for now :)

Thank you for a wonderful Open Source RTS, after playing and very much enjoying Glest, Warzone2100 and even Battle for Westnot, this game looks like topping them all!

Itzik.

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Currently there is no portable version of the game. I don't think you would be able to make a portable version without editing some code.

The game has 4 main classes of human unit. Female citizens are good at gathering resources and building (but they cannot place foundations for military buildings). Citizen soldiers, which are trained from the civil center or barracks are good at gathering and building except for gathering food from berry bushes and farms. Cavalry citizen soldiers are good at hunting but cannot do any other economic stuff. Champion/super units are other soldiers who have no economic benefit but are stronger at fighting, these are trained from advanced buildings. It is up to how how you decide to use champions vs citizen soldiers in battle, also since the game is not properly balanced yet be aware some units might be too strong or weak.

Hunters don't seem to be very good at continuing as you said. This should be improved but isn't high priority because farming is the primary food source.

Healing is not implemented yet. Formations should have bonuses attached to them in the future but for now they aren't particularly useful.

Thanks for the answers.

Is there, or will be a way to tell hurt units to retreat?

Shalom, Itzik!

How did you find out about 0 A.D.?

I think it was by accident. I really love open source games (I actually almost never play commercial games, unless they are exceptional), so I came across this game while searching for a new game.

I know about this game since alpha 4, but only now I got the spare time to download it and play it. And I glad I did :)

By the way, I wish I myself could be useful for the development of the game, but I don't really have much spare time.

I was happy to see there are some Israeli developers here. :)

Edited by iap