Code::Blocks integration?

I've just started using the Code::Blocks IDE on my netbook, as it seems to run best while also leaving screen space for the actual code, and I was wondering if anyone here uses C::B for working on 0AD and would know how to set up the code as a project within it. Philip`, on IRC, mentioned the possibility of using premake to output a Code::Blocks importable makefile, but I haven't been able to find much on the subject.

Alternatively, if there's another resource-light IDE out there that would be a better fit/easier implementation of the codebase that I simply haven't checked out, suggestions are welcome.

[Note: I absolutely refuse to use Eclipse. Takes forever to load anything.]

I've just started using the Code::Blocks IDE on my netbook, as it seems to run best while also leaving screen space for the actual code, and I was wondering if anyone here uses C::B for working on 0AD and would know how to set up the code as a project within it. Philip`, on IRC, mentioned the possibility of using premake to output a Code::Blocks importable makefile, but I haven't been able to find much on the subject.

Alternatively, if there's another resource-light IDE out there that would be a better fit/easier implementation of the codebase that I simply haven't checked out, suggestions are welcome.

[Note: I absolutely refuse to use Eclipse. Takes forever to load anything.]

Premake4 supports Code::Blocks in theory, but I doubt anyone has tested that with our build system. Basically you want to run premake4 with the "codeblocks" option to generate the workspace (see build\workspaces\update-workspaces.* for an example of how premake is invoked). I don't know what OS you're using, but in Windows I suspect you'll need to use the MSVC toolchain (not GCC which is what Premake seems to be configuring by default, I think our source makes the assumption you will only use MSVC for Windows and GCC for other OSes). I've tested opening the workspace in Code::Blocks and it looks properly structured, but the build options are configured for GCC - maybe it will work in Linux.

I had a quick look and you can easily generate a project using premake4.

You could add a line to update-workspaces.sh (around line 69):

premake4/bin/release/premake4 --file="premake4.lua" --outpath="../workspaces/codeblocks/" ${premake_args} codeblocks || die "Premake codeblocks failed"

(If you are using windows you could add an equivalent line to update-workspaces.bat)

Edit: I just tried building and it didn't work correctly. It threw quite a lot of errors when linking.

Edited by quantumstate

[...]

That could work, but we had to make some changes to premake to get the other environments working and it's likely that there will be some gliches for Code::Blocks too.

If you test it, please tell us if it works.

You could add a line to update-workspaces.sh (around line 69):

premake4/bin/release/premake4 --file="premake4.lua" --outpath="../workspaces/codeblocks/" ${premake_args} codeblocks || die "Premake codeblocks failed"

(If you are using windows you could add an equivalent line to update-workspaces.bat)

Edit: I just tried building and it didn't work correctly. It threw quite a lot of errors when linking.

I did that and it worked perfectly for me. Granted, the project hierarchy is a bit iffy, but other than that, it works.

EDIT: When I say "perfectly", I mean it imports "perfectly" and doesn't give any errors. Compiling is another issue altogether. See the attached text file.

error.txt

Edited by mindsystem

I seem to have figured out what the issue is, seemingly fixed by adding "/usr/lib" under "Compiler" after [Right-click pyrogenesis] > "Build options..." > "Search directories".

See the image below:

http://db.tt/aBS1eXjM

If someone running Linux can confirm this, things should be all well and good.

Edit: Turns out it only worked because I accidentally compiled most of it via terminal, so when I tried to recompile via Code::Blocks, it gave me the same errors again.

Edited by mindsystem

Good news: (y)

I was able to successfully build using the Code::Blocks IDE.

Some manual tweaks were required, but it looks like it won't be hard to integrate them into the premake scripts.

From what I see until now, Code::Blocks looks promising and I'm going to give it a try.

Yes, I didn't check it on Windows yet.

I guess this will be more difficult and for me it does not have priority because most Windows developers use Visual Studio anyway.

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it, the odds are that even if someone wants to use Code::Blocks as their IDE in Windows, they'd still need MSVC installed to compile, and getting all the options correct looks like a pain (I do think it's possible).

You could also use MinGW.

If we tried to support it we would have to decide if the options in Code::Blocks should be for MinGW (GCC) or Visual Studio compiler.

I don't think there's a way to support both. Maybe I'll do some tests on Windows, but I won't finish it if It's too much work and if there's no one who actually uses it.

If someone would like to test it or has any feedback, here's a patch for Code::Blocks support on Linux.

As yet I've only done some quick tests.

Works great on Ubuntu w/ Code::Blocks 10.05. I tried building both release and debug config, and tested the debugger feature, with no problems.

I went ahead and tested on OS X Lion too, as a possible Xcode alternative. It gives the following error when building the engine project:

/Users/Ben/0ad/source/ps/XML/RelaxNG.cpp|26|error: libxml/relaxng.h: No such file or directory

Which is strange, somehow it's not finding libxml2 includes? "locate relaxng.h" shows:

/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk/usr/include/libxml2/libxml/relaxng.h
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.7.sdk/usr/include/libxml2/libxml/relaxng.h
/Users/Ben/0ad/libraries/libxml2/include/libxml/relaxng.h
/usr/include/libxml2/libxml/relaxng.h
/usr/share/doc/libxml2-2.7.3/html/html/libxml-relaxng.html

This is probably a separate issue, I think you could commit your patch :)

I went ahead and tested on OS X Lion too, as a possible Xcode alternative. It gives the following error when building the engine project:

/Users/Ben/0ad/source/ps/XML/RelaxNG.cpp|26|error: libxml/relaxng.h: No such file or directory

Which is strange, somehow it's not finding libxml2 includes?

It's a bit weird. It does not find pkg-config because /opt/local/bin is not in the PATH of the shell used to execute commands inside C::B.

There are some setting for the environment under Settings>Environment... but they don't seem to have any effect on that.

It finally worked after starting C::B from the terminal. Somehow it got the right PATH that way.

The question is how I could solve this with premake. I don't think I should use a full path to pkg-config because it could be installed elsewhere.

The only other solution I see would be executing pkg-config from premake and inserting the output directly. That's how I had to do it for Xcode.

EDIT: Committed - http://trac.wildfiregames.com/changeset/10521

• 3 weeks later...

I generally use Eclipse IDE with Java, C and C++ and the plugin Subclipse to work with SVN (I had to reinstall my windows because of problems with TortoiseSVN, so i'll never use it again). Eclipse has a very friendly (and configurable) interface, detects semantic and sintax errors within the code in real time, supports both windows, linux and Mac and is totally free. http://www.eclipse.o...nents/indigosr1

Edited by Pedro Falcão

It finally worked after starting C::B from the terminal. Somehow it got the right PATH that way.

Confirmed that this works, but then it won't run the app bundle, it thinks it has never been built :(

Also Code::Blocks seems really buggy on OS X, not only the UI, but it freezes occasionally, crashes when closing, the settings don't save, etc. So I think it's not worth spending too much effort on, probably much more important to get Xcode working properly.