Gallic Wars Campaign

Fionn

If there is a post-Marian Late Republican/Caesar era Roman army made available, a Gallic Wars campaign would be a great addition to the game.

The player, as Julius Caesar's army, would start with the initial fight against the Helvettii and their allies to protect Rome's Gaulish allies and would finish the campaign by defeating Vercingetorix at Alesia. The player would have the chance to conquer all of Gaul, as well as cross the Rhine and the English channel. Keep in mind that the Rome of Julius Caesar (et al.) was very different from the Republican faction to be released in part one and from Imperial Rome...

Factions

Caesar's Legions - Post-Marian Republican Rome

Gaulish tribes - Celts (Gaul)

Belgians - Celts (Gaul)*

British tribes - Celts (Britain)

Suebi and other Germanic tribes - Germans

Aquitanians - Iberians

*The Belgic tribes may have have been related to the Germanic tribes (Caesar implies a Germanic origin), but whatever the veracity of this is the Belgians are known to have adopted Celtic culture

There are "Marian" Legions in the game already, with a Centurion unit. It wouldn't be difficult to add Julius Caesar in a mod (we might just add Julius Caesar ourselves as an editor unit), and a handful of Germanic units.The Republican Romans in 0 A.D. Part 1 will have the Siege Walls, pretty much modeled on Caesar's siege walls at Alesia, so the Marians could easily be modded to be able to build them (once the walls are put into the game, that is; I may even add that ability to the Marian legions myself).

There are Marian Legionaries already in the game. There are no appropriate heroes for the Romans, though. There may be a semi-official addon to Part 1, that includes the Fall of the Republic. The Gallic Wars could be in a campaign that is shipping with that addon, preferrably wrapped up in a campaign that covers the whole downfall of the Republic. (maybe told from the view of Caesar/Octavianus)

Also, there are no Germans in 0 A.D., as Germany was founded in 1871 A.D. and is well out of the timeframe of the game.;)

While it would be interesting to have gallic wars I realy hope that we wont be fighting Cartaginians with post-marian legionairs, I'd rather see some nice Camilian/Polibian Hastati, Principi and Triarii =/. And if you include Lorica segmentata (since there's going to be people always asking for Hollywood-style legionairs), please keep it only as a optional late upgrade..

Edited by LusitanCenturion

While it would be interesting to have gallic wars I realy hope that we wont be fighting Cartaginians with post-marian legionairs, I'd rather see some nice Camilian/Polibian Hastati, Principi and Triarii =/. And if you include Lorica segmentata (since there's going to be people always asking for Hollywood-style legionairs), please keep it only as a optional late upgrade..

Fear not, the actual Roman faction in 0 A.D. is based off the Polybian legion. So you'll have Hastati, Principes, Triarii, Velites, Equites etc. Both Marian Legionaries and Imperial Legionaries are only in there for editor purposes.

"lso, there are no Germans in 0 A.D., as Germany was founded in 1871 A.D. and is well out of the timeframe of the game"

While germany might not have been founded untill that time, the germanic tribes were much earlier and were even older than the romans and celts. and yes, the Romans actually called them Germans. If you study them then they arew basicaly the same as Russ or Vikings, having originated in Scandinavia and worshiping the same gods.

see --->http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanic_tribes

There are "Marian" Legions in the game already, with a Centurion unit. It wouldn't be difficult to add Julius Caesar in a mod (we might just add Julius Caesar ourselves as an editor unit), and a handful of Germanic units.The Republican Romans in 0 A.D. Part 1 will have the Siege Walls, pretty much modeled on Caesar's siege walls at Alesia, so the Marians could easily be modded to be able to build them (once the walls are put into the game, that is; I may even add that ability to the Marian legions myself).

I'm very glad to hear this. So it appears that a faction representing this important (albeit short) era in Roman history could be modded very easily using 'Atlas.' So hopefully, we will be able to see chain-mail wearing Republican (or Caesarist) legionnaires battling Gauls at Alesia...

While germany might not have been founded untill that time, the germanic tribes were much earlier and were even older than the romans and celts. and yes, the Romans actually called them Germans. If you study them then they arew basicaly the same as Russ or Vikings, having originated in Scandinavia and worshiping the same gods.

Exactly. The Germanic tribes were a distinctive branch of the 'Indo-European' peoples who migrated to Europe, long before the German unification in 1871. And yes, "German" is the proper noun for a member of one of these tribes. Hehehehe...

Edited by Fionn

Exactly. The Germanic tribes were a distinctive branch of the 'Indo-European' peoples who migrated to Europe, long before the German unification in 1871. And yes, "German" is the proper noun for a member of one of these tribes. Hehehehe...

I know all of that, of course.;) But "German" is really no proper term to describe a member of the Germanic Tribes, it's terribly inaccurate. There is a very clear distinction in the German language between "Germane" (a member of the Germanic tribes) and "Deutscher" (a German). And the Romans called them "Germani", which really means nothing more than "kinsmen" in Latin.

(I am only half serious here, but if you want to be accurate, then let's be accurate.:P)