Copyright

Whilst browsing on 0AD's history articles I came across a concept drawing of a Macedonian Companion Heteroi. (http://wildfiregames...page.php?p=1573)

It claimed to have been drawn by the retired member 'Childhood Trauma' in 2005. But I recognised the illustration from a book I read recently on the history of cavalry.

"Cavalry - The History of a Fighting Elite" by V.Vuksic and Z.Grbasic published 1993.

The picture in question is on page 47 of the same name.

Now I am not trying to be a pain here but I am concerned of the potential trouble that could be caused for this site if it was found to be posting images that caused a copyright infringement unless the source is correctly acknowledged and there is permission for such a reproduction. I am not sure of the rules of copyright and internet sites I just wanted to save you a headache should such a situation arise.

Big fan of what you guys are doing in 0AD by the way.

Whilst browsing on 0AD's history articles I came across a concept drawing of a Macedonian Companion Heteroi. (http://wildfiregames...page.php?p=1573)

It claimed to have been drawn by the retired member 'Childhood Trauma' in 2005. But I recognised the illustration from a book I read recently on the history of cavalry.

"Cavalry - The History of a Fighting Elite" by V.Vuksic and Z.Grbasic published 1993.

The picture in question is on page 47 of the same name.

Now I am not trying to be a pain here but I am concerned of the potential trouble that could be caused for this site if it was found to be posting images that caused a copyright infringement unless the source is correctly acknowledged and there is permission for such a reproduction. I am not sure of the rules of copyright and internet sites I just wanted to save you a headache should such a situation arise.

Big fan of what you guys are doing in 0AD by the way.

Are you sure he just didn't use it for reference? Also, it is very difficult for us to verify without a scan to compare, and unfortunately a scan is in itself infringement. :shrug:

Are you sure he just didn't use it for reference? Also, it is very difficult for us to verify without a scan to compare, and unfortunately a scan is in itself infringement. :shrug:

It is possible to find this image in Internet, see for example: http://htmlimg1.scribdassets.com/82irkhiy2orhwbv/images/49-25c859c8f5/000.jpg

It looks very similar, so we probably should remove this image and check other 'Childhood Trauma's works. Also maybe this make sense to try contact him and ask how he draw his works.

Overlaying those two images, it looks to me that CT's image is a redrawing of that image but not a direct tracing of it, since the shapes and proportions are different (CT's rider's feet are much thicker, his rider is leaning backwards much more, his leopard head is vertically above the horse's front knee whereas in the other image it's much further back, the curve of the reins is different, etc). So I don't think it's a direct copy of that image, though it probably still counts as derivative work (so still potentially problematic in terms of copyright).

Overlaying those two images, it looks to me that CT's image is a redrawing of that image but not a direct tracing of it, since the shapes and proportions are different (CT's rider's feet are much thicker, his rider is leaning backwards much more, his leopard head is vertically above the horse's front knee whereas in the other image it's much further back, the curve of the reins is different, etc). So I don't think it's a direct copy of that image, though it probably still counts as derivative work (so still potentially problematic in terms of copyright).

Right, it looks like he just used it for reference (likely someone gave him the image and said, "Here, draw it just like this!"). But it's too close to be able to say it's a unique work, so it's good that Aviv pulled it.