Class System

ArchaicWarrior

just wondering if adding a class & government system would make the game more interesting? Instead of just fighting the enemy how about adding conflicts within a society. Depending on government type (regal, dictator, republic, democracy), the degree of anger amoungst the people ? If person angry with you, clicking them may get no response!

AW.

Edited by ArchaicWarrior

For me that belongs more in city-builder/simulation type of games (which I generally avoid since it's frustrating to have to deal with the way people react to your actions as well as to fight the enemy -- or build the best town or whatever -- but I'm sure there's a place for that kind of game as well, I'm just not a fan :) ). To me real time strategy games are nice since they are not all that complex, you can focus on the fun parts without all those frustrating things. I mean I turned off environmental effects in Empire Earth 2 pretty quickly, and so on :) . Things shouldn't be too random in my humble opinion =) If we're talking more generally though and not just my personal opinion: I think it's more suited to games like the Civilization series where you not only have much more of a government system that affects things (could perhaps be added to an RTS game, though personally I prefer to have that layer of interference between me and the units removed) it's also turn-based which means you have time to think about what effects your choices will have. In an RTS game you have to react to things much quicker and don't have time to think about your choices too much, so to me that means you shouldn't make things too complicated. Feel free to describe more in detail how you think it would add to the gameplay and how it should work, perhaps someone will create a mod for it or it could inspire the main game in some way even if we don't include the feature itself.

Adding social strife and civil wars could conceivably be done in an RTS, but it's something you have to design into the game from the ground up. If you just tack it onto the game design as just another "feature" of the game then it would seriously hamper the overall gameplay. I could conceive of such a feature, but it would have to be integrated very carefully. It would be hard, but doable. It's too late for any major game design changes though at this stage though, and initially I think the trend in our game design was toward simplicity rather than complexity.