As for Ticket #685

Hello and thank you for 0 A.D. I built Alpha 3 on my Intel Mac (OS X 10.6.6) and found a issue related to ticket #685 (OSX Crashes with Audio).

I tried to change the loop flag to false just before alSource functions. The music had been played without crash in main menu screen.

I don't have used OpenAL but I think this suggests the loop value should be 0 in the case of main menu. Loop = true means the buffer will be used repeatedly. So alSourceUnqueueBuffers() returned the error. Perhaps OpenAL on another platforms ignore the loop flag (bug?). Is this right?

The Creative implementation and OpenALsoft don't ignore the loop flag. It's interesting to hear that disabling looping (which is kind-of nice for the main menu but certainly not critical) avoids that bug in their OpenAL. After you've disabled it, are there any other problems? It might be worthwhile to just turn that off on OS X instead of killing all sound, but given the amount of problems we've seen, some other issues are likely to arise.

I thought this needed to change the logic of looping sound for 2 cases. One is that sound can be in one buffer. Another is that sound is divided into multiple buffers. The current pyrogenesis seems to ignore the latter case.

Anyway, I know this matter is low priority. You've got a lot of works to do. Please do that.