ogre3d vs openGL

Hi all:

While I am still working on my Blender COLLADA issue http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13530

I am just curious if there has been any discussion in the past regarding ogre3d and pyrogenesis. I did a quick search for ogre3d in this forum to see if this topic was discussed in the past, but nothing relevant came up.

Thanks

I'd usually recommend using an existing graphics engine rather than writing one from scratch, and Ogre looks like a reasonable choice. There doesn't seem any point rewriting all the functionality that those libraries provide, unless you want to do something radically different or boundary-pushing.

But in our case we already had a custom renderer working before anyone seriously suggested using Ogre (which was ~5 years less mature than it is now), and it's always seemed easier to incrementally improve our code rather than switch everything to a new graphics engine. I think our current renderer architecture is good enough (though certainly not fantastic) for what we still want to add, so it's probably not worth the effort and disruption of switching.

Thanks Ykkrosh for your response.

One of the main features that I like about pyrogenesis is using javascript as the scripting language. I see that you did upgrade the version of spidermonkey. Do you think its worth trying to integrate with V8?

You guys have done a fantastic job with the engine. I will keep playing with it and see where it can take me to.