RTS demand & software development philosophy

Jeru

Two interesting spottings from the internet:

• Bruce Shelley, the mind behind the Age series, says
    . He also says he feels closing Ensemble Studios was a mistake. Most of the interview is about Settlers 7, though, which I found less interesting. (via HeavenGames)
  • For all those who've been wondering when 0 A.D. will be ready, a few words of wisdom from 37signals, the small, zippy, famous software company:

<blockquote>Software development is inherently unpredictable. There are just too many moving parts and ice tips that turn out to be icebergs.

If you treat the estimate as a “best guess based on the limited information available to me before I start the work”, though, you’ll change the frame and break the cycle of deadline anguish. Now the task becomes collaborative and you can share new discoveries with the stakeholders.</blockquote>

Read the whole thing.

The closing of Ensemble Studios was a very sad thing indeed. Part of me suspects microsoft wanted to pull away from the RTS genre, as it wasn't all that viable on the Xbox 360 due to control limitations, and its fairly obvious that microsoft is now very much focussed on its console rather than the PC.