Statistics on Participation in the Open Source OAD Project

greenm1981

Hello,

I'm a student of economics conducting research on the innovation. Current economics models tend to reduce all of innovation as a function of the pursuit of monetary gain. What I've seen in the open source community suggests otherwise.

I just discovered this project today and would like to enlist your help in gathering data on the levels of involvement by the OS community in this project. Here are some of my first questions on the matter:

1) Where might I find data on the # of code downloads / uploads?

2) Are there statistics available to quantify progress made to project since WFG opened it up?

These are just my first thoughts. I understand many of you busy with the content of the game, but figured I would consult the experts.

Thank you!

Don't have any exact numbers for downloads, but the Subversion server has had roughly 900GB of outbound traffic in slightly under two weeks since the release, and I think (but haven't checked) it's approximately 300MB per copy, so it's probably a few thousand downloads. Most of the community involvement is visible in the forum or Trac, though you'd have to sort through the raw data yourself.

But as Erik says, it's only been a couple of weeks so it's very early stages and doesn't provide any kind of long-term view.

(But before the open source release, many people have been working on this for many years with no pursuing of monetary gain - I guess the people devising the current economic models can't imagine people just working for fun :))

Thanks guys!

The early data is important to me, so I'll start tracking based upon your suggestions.

As far as economic models not accounting for the "incentive of play," you're spot on! While there are some good economists working on the idea that "homo ludens" or man at play is an important driving force on our lives (duh!), it is largely ignored. Hence my interest.

Thanks again for your support!