someone punch me!

these is beyond my wildest dreams!!!!!!!!!!! :((y)

A gaming comunity, creating a hole new game from zero, that is freeware, and also open source!!!!!

I definitively want to go in!!!

What tools you are using for 3D modelling?

Whats the format of the textures?

Can I download what you got until now? (to study the programs and learn to MOD it)

I have been creating Mods fo AOM for a while, and I almost domine everything (except 3d modelling but Im working on it). However I havent release to much because Im planing to create a big mod, with units, campaing, and techs. But now that I see this I may release all those now to concentrate in 0 A.D.

Let me no how to start... :P

Welcome to the forums!

1. Depends on what we got (at least I think so, but you'll have to wait for someone from the Art Department to tell more about that)

2. DDS (but yeah, I'll let the Art Department talk about that, I just repeat what I've seen written)

3. No, at least not at the moment.

We are about to make it easier for people to contribute to the games development however, so stay tuned on how you may be a part of this great adventure. :(

Welcome to the forums! *Punches*

You can theoretically use almost any modeling program you like, but Gmax isn't compatible enough to work with this game.

As for the texture format, 0 A.D. uses DDS, a standard game texture format, for which you can download the "official" Photoshop plug-in for from NVIDIA. AoM also uses DDS format, however Ensemble decided to modify the format to their liking for whatever reason. The difference is that the alpha is kept in its own separate channel, rather than below the texture, like in AoM.

The game won't be available for download or study for a while, but there might be something beta-related later this year. No promises.

As for modding, 0 A.D. was designed to be modified. All the modding tools will be 'shipped' with the game. You can download all the conversion software you'll need to mod the game straight from WFG after the game is released. Theoretically, a modder could use 0 A.D.'s engine to create his own brand-new game!

The game is far enough off that you are better off releasing your modpack for AoM. You can later port the mod to 0 A.D. if you like.

Just out of curiosity, what's your AoMH username?

AoM also uses DDS format, however Ensemble decided to modify the format to their liking for whatever reason.
AoM's DDT format isn't really that much like DDS - it often uses the same compression method (DXTC), but it's also used to store uncompressed paletted textures (with 12-bit, 15-bit, 16-bit palettes, and 8-bit greyscale, if I remember correctly) and is generally rather weird :P. (AoE3 dropped all the paletted modes, so its DDTs were much closer to DDSs, except for the file format being completely unrelated to DDS.)
The difference is that the alpha is kept in its own separate channel, rather than below the texture, like in AoM.
AoM stores the alpha in a separate channel in the same way as 0 A.D. (and AoE3 etc) - it's just AoMEd that converts that into a black-and-white-alpha-below-image format, so that people with Paint can still edit the image :(

Its great to see so much people from AOMH here!

My AOMH nick is Leto II, you wont see too much from me there, because until now I have only see and research about the modding theme, waiting to the rigth time to release my own campaing (with mods included, the name would be "Speaker for the Gods"), but Im have been there for almost a year. Im also working on a trial release of a mayor game Mod that is intended to create a complete diferent game using the AOM engine, but that will take longer.

Well regarding 0AD, I think that Im gonna start researching about the format of the files that it use for the texture, so I´ll be ready on the rigth time. And about the modells, you said that I can use almost every 3-D program, but wich one will you recomend...

P.D. Rigth now I think that I didnt now enough to help in 0AD with textures or models( the ones that you have created are incredible), but what I can do is translate the game to spanish, wouldnt be great that the game be freeware and multilanguage...

Well, as the game is not ready to be released anytime soon you might be good enough to contribute in texturing too :P

Thanks for the offer, and I hope you remember it when it's time to get it translated (y):( And yeah, we're hoping that the game will be translated into a lot of languages. Some languages might be covered in the team, depending on where the people are from, but we will have to rely on the community to provide the other.

• 7 months later...