Variety

madscientist

I think the key to a RTS game is variety

Age of Kings was good for a while but then it gets boring because all you do is fight with a minimum of trading

Being an amiga owner the first Strategy game I ever played was The Settlers (ah memories, memories) where to get a sword you had to make a sword to make a sword you had to have iron and coal and so on

Later on when I got my PC, one game I purchased was Pharoah with all the options I was as happy as larry (to make linen you need flax, beer you need barley etc) and caesar 3, I am aware that catch 22 scenarios are commonplace in this type of game but with a bit of brainwork it can be got around

I definitely think that RTS games should have cultures who have full set unique buildings, soldiery, trading standards, there should be complete manufacturing processes surely Real Time Strategy means this

it would be nice to see such things in 0 A.D (or in a future wildfire game) and not just another AOE

anyway I have drivelled enough so I'll say cheerio

Welcome to the forums!

0 A.D. is first and formost a RTS game. The Pharoah and Ceasar 3 games fall into more of what is called a 'city building' type genre.

Unfortunately, with a zero budget we are currently working with and as most of us are developing this game as a hobby, we just don't have the time/funds/etc to create a RTS/CB type game. Also, our vision for the game is a more millitary than economy based game.

Good suggestion though. I'm sure a game like what your suggesting would be of intrest to many gamers out there.