feature request: show external/internal IP address and save host IP address on client

raymond

Hello,

creating multiplayer game:

it is possible to show the external IP and internal IP address while creating a game (on the same field while connecting to a host so under "Player name"). Why: if you host a game you don't have to go on www.whatismyip.com to find out the current IP. Internal IP: for playing games in private networks.

and:

joining multiplayer game:

Save IP address (for the current 0 A.D. session) for the host on the client. Why: if you play more than one game of the same server: you don't need the type the IP address twice in the connect field. So in "Server Hostname or IP".

Should I add a entry in trac?

thanks

Edited by raymond

if there is not a server that processes everything yet, there could maybe be something that just listens to hosted games and lists them for who ever wants to join one...?

I think it's not too expensif in resources: I mean all you need is an online file that gets

-written to when a game is hosted (with some informations: hosts IP i.e...) (since not a server doing connections, but only a help to find online games with now's connection protocols, a hoster might unchek a box "list my game for joiners")

-read from when opening "join game" page (and when refreshing that page) to list current hosted games.

Once there are more people playing online, and undesired gests in games etc, of course this will be annoying, but for now i guess not many people do play online, so having a list of ip's that hosted a game is not too bad.

if there is not a server that processes everything yet, there could maybe be something that just listens to hosted games and lists them for who ever wants to join one...?

I think it's not too expensif in resources: I mean all you need is an online file that gets

-written to when a game is hosted (with some informations: hosts IP i.e...) (since not a server doing connections, but only a help to find online games with now's connection protocols, a hoster might unchek a box "list my game for joiners")

-read from when opening "join game" page (and when refreshing that page) to list current hosted games.

Once there are more people playing online, and undesired gests in games etc, of course this will be annoying, but for now i guess not many people do play online, so having a list of ip's that hosted a game is not too bad.

What you are describing is a multiplayer lobby, and it is being worked on.