Dual Boot symlinking

Sonarpulse

I installed alpha 8 on windows recently and now am going to install it in Ubuntu. However, I rather not download all ≈200 megabytes again, nor keep lots of redundant data on both partitions. If 0 A.D had a normal FHS-esque ./bin ./share ./lib etc. hierarchy, I might have been able to fake it myself. but with the current setup I am at a lost.

Any instructions how, or advice I am foolish, would be much appreciated. Once the symlinks are in I think i know how to use dpkg to avoid the now-unnecessary data dependency.

The data packages on Linux should contain "mods/public/public.zip", "config/" and "tools/". On Ubuntu, I believe these are installed relative to "/usr/share/0ad/". On Windows they are in "[installation directory]\binaries\data\". Copying/linking those files ought to be sufficient.

On my linux mint system using the http://ppa.launchpad.net/wfg/0ad/ubuntu repository the games data (0ad-data package) is in /usr/share/games/0ad/mods/public/public.zip . I feel that you may be making things too complicated for yourself though, updating the game is probably going to cause you hassle since the data needs to be in sync with the binaries so you will need to do this process for every update.

Thanks a lot, guys. I ended up installing 0 a.d normally as a control, so to speak, and then did the sym-linking. I symlinked ./mods, ./tools, and ./config. Everything works fine.

Yes this will be a pain for updates, but I will probably make it work by first updating with APT, and then see if I can get binaries only for windows. Windows installers suck anyways so I won't mind cutting and pasting on that OS.

Just for reference, the share directories were "/usr/share/games/0ad/" on Ubuntu (11.10), and of course "[installation directory]\binaries\data\" on windows.