Herding vs. hunting animals

About this ticket, which has been an annoyance for some time but easy to fix if we come to an agreement. First, what are the exact differences between herd passive and hunt passive animals (besides coralling, which we don't have yet)?

If one of my units attacks a goat, should it run away or stay in place? I think for wild, huntable animals (like deer) it is clear they should run away, but not for herd animals regardless of who owns them.

Also, I think goats/sheep have a max HP that is way too high. They should not be as hard to kill as human units :)

Herd/Domestic animals shouldn't run. Wild/hunted animals should. Remember how sheep were slaughtered in one hit in AOE 2? 0AD should try and be like that. Prehaps create a slaughter animation (shared across all units, different than their attack animation) to reflect that.

Will there be any good reasons for hunting? Deer are practically impossible to catch and don't really give much benefit when caught either at present as compared to the pretty low expense and stable output of farms.

IMO, hunting never had that big of an impact on any RTS game I've played, not even the AOE series (unless, of course, the scenario railroaded me into it.) And honestly, isn't agriculture not just a hallmark, but a pre-requisite for civilization?

IMO, hunting never had that big of an impact on any RTS game I've played, not even the AOE series (unless, of course, the scenario railroaded me into it.) And honestly, isn't agriculture not just a hallmark, but a pre-requisite for civilization?

Hunting was used by very good players because it was the fastest gathering resource. It was micro intensive which meant that not so good players (like me) found it too much hassle (except boar). Early in the game is vital for serious AOE2 playing so a little extra speed for food gave a serious advantage.

Will there be any good reasons for hunting? Deer are practically impossible to catch and don't really give much benefit when caught either at present as compared to the pretty low expense and stable output of farms.

You are using the wrong units to hunt. Use ranged units, specifically ranged cavalry. Ranged cav are excellent excellent hunters and can give a nice Food boost early on.