Bug(?) After one hour, suddenly unable to interact with units

tbrass

First off: congratulations on the latest Alpha -- truly phenomenal work!

I just compiled 9786 on my x86_64 gentoo laptop and played my first game (median oasis). After approximately an hour (unfortunately I started it from menu and not command line, so I don't have a timestamp) and 18597 turns, I lost all ability to interact with my units. I could scroll through the battlefield with both keyboard commands and the mouse, but I could not select units via hotkey or click. I had no problem selecting 'Menu' and exiting out of the game.

Checking my logs, nothing showed up under 0ad's interesting, and I have nothing strange in Xorglog or my xsession. I was simply unable to pass any commands to my units.

A quick search of this forum didn't turn up similar bugs, so I imagine that this is either a) a weird one-off, or B) a feature (the documentation of which I haven't seen) preventing users from getting too sucked into this game and thereby destroying any hope of productivity...

In any case, please let me know if you would like additional information & I'll let you know if it happens again.

Again -- amazing job with this program!

huh, I know of no such deliberate feature ;)

It just so happens that unit commands are implemented in JavaScript and the camera movement is done from C++.

The behavior you observed may be due to the interpreter simply dying or running out of memory.

I realize this kind of thing is really hard to duplicate. For instance, the replay logger runs for the

duration of the game, there is no support for flushing it when something goes wrong.

If, however, you run another long game, would you mind telling us the JS script statistics,

accessible by pressing F11 twice? It's rather likely we are simply running out of heap space.

Maybe the others will have further ideas, too.