Hello, WFG-people!

Hello,

A few days ago I downloaded 0AD and I was amazed by the quality of your work.

Reading your homepage and forums and short chat on IRC made me to join you.

I prefere quality work to Q&D and I'm advocating open source too. I enjoy playnig RTS - it started with Ancient Art of War in 1980-something. I just got fed up with Civillizastion - Colonization and was loking for something new, when I red about 0AD when browsing the net (sorry, I don't remember how I found you).

My name is Andras Meszaros born in Budapest, Hungary for a long time ago, but lived half of my life in Sweden, so I do live with my wife in Bromma - about 10-20 minutes north to Stockholm's city.

I'm a senior (age 59;->) unix system administrator. I was programming in Fortran mostly for about 10 years in the late 70's to the mid 90's. Besides Fortran I done some work in assembler, Pascal, C and Perl. I changed to sysadmin in the middle of 90's and still doing it.

Actually I wanted to be egyptologist, so history is still my first hobby.

When I understood that you're in a serious bussiness I decided to join. Back home a few days later I'm here to ask you how I can contribute?

I think I'm good in troubleshooting, knows unix/linux, especially network integration with kerberized LDAP.

Maybe I'll learn JS and pick some easy task to solve a bit later.

Even if I don't have any children at home I'm still working a lot so I have no idea how much time I can reserve and waht I can do for WFG. anyway, here am i and offering some help if there is anything I can help you with.

Last but not least I'd like to thank you for a fine game in progress and a very kind welcome on the IRC.

Congratulations to your excellent grapics, music score and game concept.

Actually, If I had a lot of time - maybe a few hundre hour every day without sleep - I created an RTS and a few other games I have on my mind. So here are some suggestions for you:

1. There are choirs and musicians who would certanly perform ancient music for free and that would be a nice effect in game and in intros. Probably I could get in touch at least one such group. Otherwies I suppose there is some stuff in CC (Creative Common) already.

2. The supplies lines is an extremely important item in the real world warfare. Most RTS are emphasizing the battles and totally skip this side of the warfare. E.g if LoS gave an extra health-stamina whatever to the troops would be fine.

3. The speed of units are constant - never i the real world. Ancient Art of War was the 1st RTS on Mac and Windows in the 80's as I know and it had this feature, but it's nowhere else to my knowledge. Moving fast exhausts troops but getting to a fortress may give advantage so it is a calculated risk to take... On th other side moving slover and saving resources will help crossing hostile terrain like desert, mountain or wetlands.

I know -your'e still concentrating on graphics, sound and game engine but some day it's time to gaming strategies.

So, I hope there's somebody reading this and maybe I can help you sooner or later.

Again, Thx for the game and the community you are biulding!

Sincerely, Andras aka anonymore

Hi Andras! Welcome.

1. There are choirs and musicians who would certanly perform ancient music for free and that would be a nice effect in game and in intros. Probably I could get in touch at least one such group.

That would be awesome. I have tried to get in touch with some group in Israel to no avail.

Hello again,

Mythos Ruler: yes, and an bit more: It could be extended by a chain of towers/walls so the resource/health level stays at top, but when the chain is broken -an enemy destroyed a link so no LoS for the buildings than the resource level descends.

Jeru: Let me check with some contacts, and let me see it there is fitting type of music/song in some CC repositories. I don't sing or play any instrument, but I know some musicians and people singing classical music, so maybe I manegae to recruite them...

Once again, thanks for a nice place and a promising game. I already mentioned it to some contacts and I will spead the "news" of your existence.

/Anonymore