Network

Correct me if I am wrong... But the networking seems all over the place. Is there a plan to make this coherent or is it all still up in the air? I'm offering a few hours a week to sort it out if needs be, and would prefer to thread it off to workers (in a pool). Ab Inito:

All net events are enq (via the standard mutex/cond lock)

The in/out threads are deq only on event wake up.

The queues are independent of what deqs (single/mp game).

And all udp traffic would run faster on msgid/seqid (i.e. reliable udp delivery) as opposed to resorting to tcp in times of stress, or big packets (enet resorts to fudging). And I really want to click on that dancing banana.

Al.

Welcome, and thanks for your interest :)

The networking code was in the process of being moved to Enet, but that's not entirely done yet, no (the old code is still commented out in places). The current status allows connecting and basic communication for MP games, but that's about the extent of it.

Dacian/dax was working on this, but recently became a father, so it's safe to say that it is on hold for quite some time.

We'd welcome your help in this area. Can you give more details on what you'd intend to do? Why is a thread pool necessary?