Tiles in a Greek city center

Akira Kurosawa

22 hours ago, Silier said:

city texture under civ centre or some stone texture

Well, the current grass texture was created by random map generator. Apparently, stone cladding was not included in the template... It looks like someone stole the tiles.:D Are you planning to fix it? Because it is more like ancient ruins than a busy city. Athenian polis in decline...

Edited by Arcantos

5 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Good guess! It's actually a QR code that will take you to the modeler's OF.

No matter how many times I come to look at changes in old models of buildings, I always remember Asterix and Obelix.:D Do you really enjoy playing in this architectural mess yourself?:pardon:

Spoiler

Edited by Arcantos

2 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:
Spoiler

1drIIZI.png

Looks great! Can I also ask you to move the long building (and probably a gazebo with a well, too) little to the left to maintain symmetry, and then place these four vases inside? Please?:D

Spoiler

1drIIZI.thumb.png.bc3b168a1ff15c589fe8d2c0d21b40b0.png

Spoiler

screenshot0001.thumb.png.748c09ba60f0261a22caade304bd4940.png.a39a4120a0f5ec2ec9dc5e8098a5b7e0.png

It seems to me that they (the stoa and the gazebo with a well) were originally supposed to be symmetrical in relation to the flower beds, but for some reason they were mistakenly shifted to the right border... I think Euclid would not approve of such a geometry.:laugh:

Spoiler

Sanzio_01_Euclid.jpg

Edited by Arcantos

On 24/11/2022 at 1:23 PM, Arcantos said:

Well, the current grass texture was created by random map generator. Apparently, stone cladding was not included in the template... It looks like someone stole the tiles.

Well, the Athenians, not only forerunner in democaca already had their guerillia gardening movement removing the tiles and planting them... well,serious...

This are effects when not flat terrain and buildings are merged together. Where the terrain is higher than the building the terrain structure is visible. In this case the lower tiles were replaced by the grass texture. In other environment it is not that visible.

There are extremly ugly outcomes when you place a roman civic center on a steep hill.  On some other civilisations the builings have a "foundation" like harbours making the outcome not that bad, until the terrain is not "steeper" than the foundation.

The templates should be overworked  how to alter the terrain in vertical direction with basement and a bank, so that there are no remains of the terrain where a building is placed.

Edited by Frederick_1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Frederick_1 said:

The templates should be overworked  how to alter the terrain in vertical direction with basement and a bank, so that there are no remains of the terrain where a building is placed.

I very much hope that this will not be forgotten for another 10 years.:D

Edited by Arcantos

9 hours ago, hyperion said:

@wowgetoffyourcellphone

me thinks perfectly square tiles are a better fit for Greek architecture, the issue with the original model was missing tiles (to make it more visually interesting, I have my gripes with that idea) and somewhat skewed symmetry.

Anyway, me thinks they would have never used randomly sized slabs here.

Let's get real here. In reality the center of classical Athens, Thebes, Sparta et al. wasn't paved at all--it was dirt. 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

On 03/12/2022 at 7:20 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Let's get real here. In reality the center of classical Athens, Thebes, Sparta et al. wasn't paved at all--it was dirt.

On 03/12/2022 at 8:00 PM, hyperion said:

Guess dirt would be fine as well, just that this texture feels somehow wrong to me.

There are some interesting textures from Assassin's Creed Odyssey. These rounded cobblestones in the ground, polished by walking on them, could fill any urban dirt.

Spoiler

000.thumb.png.85f95fb4a5d0ec99083db04361b9c03c.png

You can also find something more suitable from the original video.

Spoiler

On 03/12/2022 at 4:22 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

WkbgNEK.png

Is this the Macedonian center? Looks amazing! It would be interesting to look at the repaired Athenian and Spartan centers.

Edited by Lum King
  • Like 1

I think the idea behind it was to fill it with terrain textures / decals instead and to allow to have some variety. Yellowish tiles in deserts, mossy ones or something in more lush biomes. Looks kinda weird without decals or textures, but I doubt that's what the author was intending.

Random map base placement would fill in some city tile texture for the area, and constructing the building in-game would create a decal IIRC.