Additional Civs you'd like to see?

Paal_101

oh!

Thank you; I really like this pic.

:-)

I'm happy! haahhaha!

There will be peltasts! Ha!

That's, almost, the most "Thracian" soul in Thrace.

For sure, as someone said, thracian heavy infantry (rhomphaias, for example) is very singular too.

But the main and, in my opinion, the most important point of the thracian army is peltasts.

Dii, Bessi, Thynoy and Bythiny constructed they reputation by Peltasts (and ways of attacking too).

I feel almost a Thracian and love Thrace, so...

If I could be useful, I certainly would like to be.

(Maybe one Thracologist in not so distant future)

\\//

Maurya would be a cool civ to add in. Elephants and archers, plus men armed with the Indian style "broadsword". Would be a fascinating side.

Scythians are a side I would personally love to insert, along with the Sarmatians. Interesting people with a rich society and some really funky burial practices :P Not to mention great takers of scalps.

Germanics and Dacians are in for Part II :P

Han China would make an interesting counter to Rome! Wouldn't settle anything in the recently heated "Rome vs. Han" debate raging on certain areas of the interenet, but it would make for an interesting counterpoint to totally European centered tactics and units.

I'm glad someone suggested Pontus :P That would be a fantastic side to play, and who knows? All things are possible :)

Now, the Indians would be awesome! :) Maybe some of these 500-1BC era civs could make it into a mod or (big) patch once the game is released.

Agreed that the Scythians, Thracians, Lydians and Han would also be especially refreshing to see. Also Pontus, the only time I've seen them in a game was in R:TW, and they could have been done much better, IMO.

Maccabeans could be interesting in the sense of guerilla fighters, although they might be too limited to actually make a functioning side out of. Would make a good set of campaign units though :)

Kushites would make a great addition to a Bronze Age pack, along with Mycenaeans, New Kingdom Egyptians, Hittites, and Sea Peoples. Lots of fun there :P Would be a little bit out of the scope of 0 AD at present (focusing from 500 BC to 500 AD) but truly the possibilities are endless :P I would love to learn more about the Kushites.

I believe you are referring to Saitic Egyptians, Abadu? The Delta Kingdom would be fun to research as I know almost nothing about Egypt at this time, beyond the fact that they kept getting walked on by everyone would tried to invade them: Babylon, Assyria, Perisa, etc etc. Would be fun to see exactly what could be done there.

Personally:

-Phoenicians - yeah yeah i know Carthage was founded by them ;but i think that they would be heaps different and as i read somewhere they where not very strong MILITARILY the only real reason they lasted was a) their navy and :P their gold they would be weak on land but strong at sea and economically.

-Han dynasty - sure they didn't have anything to do with Rome or... well anyone but they would be fun and they would mix the game up. They'd also look really really cool (Asian Pride)

-Indians - They would be great especially if you intend to do (or get someone else to do) a Alexander Campaign

PS. wasn't Alexander thinking of going into Italy just before he died. or was that just Alexander ( :) movie)

Personally I don't know what writings exist Alexander's plans on Italy, but I do know that some scholars believe he would have. The Romans would have been the closest major military opponents of Macedon at the time. Sure they were a minor regional power at the time, embroiled in wars with the Samnites, but already they had a reputation for warfare that extended beyond Italy. Alexander couldn't have turned down the challenge :)

I think Alexander would have won. Remember, the Romans of the time were still only a Regional power. They only had the middle section of Italy under their sway. All the Greek and Samnite cities south of Latium/Campania were still independent. The Gauls were still a huge threat to the Romans in the Po River valley (northern Italy) as well. This was also pre-Marian reforms - even pre-Punic Wars era Romans. I think Alexander would have adjusted his tactics accordingly. I think he would have taken Carthage, then moved on Scicily, then secured the Greek cities in Magnae Graecia (south Italy), then taken the rest of Italy, burning Rome to the ground, Thebes-style. Despite the movies, I don't think he would have moved on Gaul. At this point he probably would have made an expedition to the Pillars of Herakles to place his foot in the opposite side of the World Ocean from India. Subsequent Emperors, Alexander IV and V would have conquered Gaul and Dacia, securing the empire's northern borders. Contacts would have been made with China. Alexander VI completes the conquest of India. :) teehee

Edited by Mythos_Ruler

Definately, the Romans of the time did not have the military tactics and systems required to defeat a phalanx. They were used to fighting light, fast moving armies such as those of the Samnites and Cis-Alpine Gauls. History would have been significantly changed to say the least.

The main place i got the idea was the movie :) Alexander. Just before Hyamastion (I got the jist that was his name)... the gay guy dies Alexander says "I hear they have fine warriors in Italy that's where we'll go next." but that movie is just so bad don't ask me why i kept his italy plan in my head.

• 8 months later...

Phoenecians are of course best represented with Carthage, I agree.

Any way, I suggested this elsewhere on this forum, but how about two alternative expansion packs:

"0 A.D.: Silk Road" - Including Indo-Eurasian and Near Eastern factions: Persians, Scythians, Sarmatians, Northern Indians, Tocharians, etc.

"0 A.D.: Far East" - This can be the traditional "Far Eastern" flair with factions including: China, Koreas, Early Japan, Yuezhi, Mongol tribes, etc.

What do you all think?

• 2 weeks later...

Dacians are definitely a "go" for 0 A.D. Part II. I too have an affinity for them, as does Jason, our project leader. Their Falxmen will be super sweet. Uber high attack, low armour (well, lower than other "swordsmen"). Good technology. Decent siege (they copied Roman siege methods).

I once made a civ profile for the Dacians for a possible Age of Empires mod about a year ago. That's when I found out how cool they were. I don't know much about them, but what I do know makes me like them quite a bit.

I think that having a Unified roman faction at the start of part 2 would be more realistic seeing as the game "starts" at 1AD (or CE) and the Roman empire doesn't permanently split until 395AD.

Personally I think to provide differentiality (i didn't think it was a word either) between east and west by providing a research/technology where if you get one you can't get the other. This would Also work for the Goths (Visigoth/Ostrogoth),

I would also love to see (it's very very farfetched) where you could play as one "barbarian tribe" and pick it's soldiers by research, but only like... 5 different troop classes (ie. 1 lgt. sword, 1 hvy sword, 1 hvy cav, med archers, siege machines). But with any sense of realism (difficulty) and time it really wouldn't be worth it.

Nothing is finalized, but here's what I'd like to see: A "Roman Empire" civ from the Pax Romana period, and then perhaps a separate "Eastern Empire" or "Late Empire" or "Early Byzantine" faction, to provide the unit types to cover the conflicts with the Huns. The architecture would be quite strikingly different, the 2nd faction being Christian and the first faction being Pagan Rome.