Windows/Linux version mismatch

MrHip

As of now, the Windows download is 0.0.26-alpha, but for Linux (Debian Buster with Bullseye backports) the highest version available is 0.0.25b-1~bpo11+1 .   How do I get the same version (I need either 0.0.26-alpha for Linux, or 0.0.25b-1~bpo11+1 for Windows).  I do not wish to go through the complexities of compiling source code; is there an archive of the older Windows version?

• Thanks 1

HI! According to https://repology.org/project/0ad/versions it seems Debian bookworm was already updated, but previous not. Not sure about plans for that, maybe @Stan` can help.

Regarding older builds, you can find mostly all previous builds (including Linux, macOS and Windows) here: https://releases.wildfiregames.com/

• Thanks 1

On 05/11/2022 at 5:24 PM, MrHip said:

for Linux (Debian Buster with Bullseye backports) the highest version available is 0.0.25b-1~bpo11+1 .   How do I get the same version (I need either 0.0.26-alpha for Linux, or 0.0.25b-1~bpo11+1 for Windows).

There is a way to do this, but first a warning about Debian Buster. It was declared "End of life" on September 10, 2022. It is still maintained by the Long Term Support team, but "backports (for Debian stretch) is no longer being updated, so no security issues in this suite will be fixed."

I recommend that you install Debian bullseye, which is fully supported until 2024, and it will have more recent versions of applications. Also, using backports (from sid for bullseye) is safe because it receives security updates.

However, it may be a few months before 0ad version 0.0.26 is available for bullseye, judging by past backport release timing for 0ad.

In the meantime, after installing bullseye, I recommend either

• Use debootstrap to create a chroot of debian unstable (sid), then apt-get install 0ad version 0.0.26 within the chroot. Run 0ad as a non-root user with chrootuid or a systemd service that drops root privileges.

or

And, you can occasionally check here to see if version 0.0.26 is available in bullseye-backports.

Alternatively, as vladislavbelov suggested, older versions for any OS are available at releases.wildfiregames.com.

Edited by dave_k