Additional default colors after D4811

https://code.wildfiregames.com/D4813

The above diff adds colors for players 9-18. Tweaks the colors for players 1-8 to help them stand out from the new colors.

Adds a "ColorName" line for each for identification and possible future use.

If anyone would like to try it and review, that would be great.

Referenced diff: https://code.wildfiregames.com/D4811

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@wowgetoffyourcellphone

How could I test this? I have already a git cloned version of 0 A.D. dev and a mixture of svn and git forked on my laptop (with my own changes), but I am missing experience about good practice for this to clone the right stuff for testing. :blush: Or should I fetch the whole code starting fresh via svn? What is the URL for this?

1 minute ago, Ceres said:

@wowgetoffyourcellphone

How could I test this? I have already a git cloned version of 0 A.D. dev and a mixture of svn and git forked on my laptop (with my own changes), but I am missing experience about good practice for this to clone the right stuff for testing. :blush: Or should I fetch the whole code starting fresh via svn? What is the URL for this?

You definitely should use SVN to apply the patch. It should work on whatever version of the game you have as long as it is after this commit: https://trac.wildfiregames.com/changeset/27172

After downloading the diff you double click it and if you have SVN installed a window similar to this should pop up, and you choose Apply Patch... You have to choose the root folder of the 0 A.D. installation and apply all the changes. It takes some trial and error for someone new to handling diffs, but once you got it it's very simple.

image.png.970d3d1591a63eec7acabb2976231e91.png

• Like 2

@wowgetoffyourcellphone

I am on 27187 (a fresh svn co https://svn.wildfiregames.com/public/ps/trunk/ 0ad-svn), DLed the D4811.diff file, and double-clicked on it. After trying to apply the patch via TortoiseSVN on my 0ad-svn folder, I get the message that it could not be cleanly applied (and the process was stopped). 

Which folder do I have to select after clicking on "Apply Patch..." in TortoiseSVN? Thank you!

Edited by Ceres

@wowgetoffyourcellphone

It does not work like this for me, but after I started TortoiseSVN and applied to patch from its main window, it started searching for a "more appropriate" path - and found it. And I see a confirmation that 14 files have been added:

image.thumb.png.b64e596230d52d34e8f387bf6948f37b.png

Now how do I test this in 0ad? Wouldn't we need a match for more than 8 players? If yes, the maximum number of players I find matching maps for, is eight. Have I misunderstood you in some way? Sorry about this and thanks for your patience with me! :heart:

EDIT: Sorry again, but TortoiseSVN placed the files ion the wrong place:

image.png.3182e79a46fee76563390a123ffae4eb.png

I first have to get this right (but my question about the numbers of players and appropriate map remains valid).

EDIT: Since I do not want to further clutter your thread about your new colouring scheme with my technical questions about applying a patch, I have started a new thread for this. So this thread here should only be further used for @wowgetoffyourcellphone's new patch. ;)

Edited by Ceres

1 hour ago, GrimPixel said:

There is someone who made some choices: https://sashamaps.net/docs/resources/20-colors/

Yep. In my research I came across that site. 

This one here is really awesome for coming up with differentiated color palettes: https://mokole.com/palette.html. The colors that are in the current patch for the most part came from playing around with the feature on that site.

5 hours ago, Darkcity said:

Can we change the UI for color selection? From vertical line to some square format (4x4 grid) just like any other UI. @wowgetoffyourcellphone

CC: @rossenburg for your mod as well.

Yes, I think the colour selection dropdown can be in palette shape like this, with gradual changes for nearby colours:

color-palette-popular-colors-color-chart

Edited by GrimPixel

4 hours ago, Ceres said:

Since I play 0AD not online I may have missed a lot, but I wonder in which scenario can we have more than 8 players? There's 1 map for 8 players that I found, but as I said, my experience with online and thus many players is null. :blush:

The colors are only called "Player 9" - "Player 16", but only to keep the original pattern. Not sure if they can be called anything else. The patch is to give more choice of colors, not more choice of number of players. The max players is still 8.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Darkcity said:

Can we change the UI for color selection? From vertical line to some square format (4x4 grid) just like any other UI. @wowgetoffyourcellphone

CC: @rossenburg for your mod as well.

8 hours ago, GrimPixel said:

Yes, I think the colour selection dropdown can be in palette shape like this, with gradual changes for nearby colours:

color-palette-popular-colors-color-chart

I agree that a bigger drop down would be nice indeed. Hopefully someone else can make a patch, as I wouldn't know how to make this for you. :)