Are build instructions still up to date and applicable to Windows 11, too?

Hello!

Are the BuildInstructions – Wildfire Games still up to date and applicable to Windows 11, too? Specifically, do we still need the XP toolset and the 2017 compiler (version 15.0) instead of VS 2019 with latest compiler?

I still have a PC with Endeavour OS but would prefer to build and test on Windows 11 (64bit) on my laptop. I understand that I must build for 32bit that will run under 64bit, too.

Thank you for your confirmation! :)

Sorry, guys, I give up building this myself. The information in the wiki is not helpful for me (sorry to say so), because it lacks essential details like what exactly is needed to install in VS 2017. I spent quite a lot of time (already about a year ago) but cannot make progress. While I would love to build 0 A.D. for Windows myself and thus be able to tweak things and thus maybe be able to contribute more, I lack the time to set everything up to get this done. I understand that most (all) of us have their real lives and time to spend away from 0 A.D., so I understand that it is not possible to provide me with a "here-you-go" and "ready-to-use" instructions set about Visual Studio. But as I have not enough time myself to get all the puzzle pieces together, I quit it. Of course, I will be happy to provide feedback on other things where I do not need to build myself.

Wishing everybody a peaceful weekend! :)

You mean that I could git clone from the repo, e.g. GitHub, including the Windows executables, or do I have to fetch the Windows executables separately from svn? Sorry, but the technical details are not clear to me, i.e. where exactly are the up to date Windows executables that I would need as companions to the cloned repo files?

Yes, I am familiar with git. Is it possible to "mix" git and svn? I.e., can I git clone everything else and fetch via svn the prebuilt Windows executables? I have clue about svn (well, I forgot everything about it after more than a year of not using it).

PS:

From where should I fetch the svn files? From there? http://svn.wildfiregames.com/public/ps/trunk

I am going to follow these helpful hints: 

Edited by Ceres

BTW, the reason why I prefer git over svn is simple: With GitHub, I can fork the 0 A.D. upstream master, do my own changes in my fork and play directly from there. When I use svn instead, I have no possibility to use my own changes other than by manually adjusting files but locally. If there is a way to do something via svn like via git (i.e. creating forks and playing from there), I am not aware of it, but I am happy to learn. :)

Edited by Ceres

There is git-svn which you can use to track the svn repo, maybe your gui client supports it, the svn repo you want is the one you linked. Svn also supports branches but it's a cludge. All github adds is a means to publicly share your changes which you probably do not need, people often get confused with git vs github.

• Thanks 1

Well, I do not mind if the repo is at GitHub, GitLab, or elsewhere (I have accounts for all of them), but indeed some "bridge" between git and svn is nice. I will look into this - thanks for the good hint! :)TortoiseGit – Windows Shell Interface to Git

EDIT1: There is TortoiseGit – Windows Shell Interface to Git, which has also support for svn, I understood.

EDIT2: Support for Subversion clients - GitHub Docs

BTW, are these guides linked from anywhere else in the wiki? TortoiseSVN_Guide – Wildfire Games 

They were last modified 8 years ago, and several images are broken. So I don't know if they are meant to be read by people in this forum these days. ;)

Edited by Ceres

4 hours ago, hyperion said:

The git repo is striped of the prebuilt windows executables, you need to use svn repo instead of git for those. Everyone else probably wants git tho.

Would it be possible to include prebuilt windows executables in the git repos (on GitHub and GitLab)? Thus, interested users could fork from there and test without the hassle of combining svn and git? Sorry if my assumption is completely nonsense. :blush: