Toxic player: harmony/Shaved_below/Shyft_Sierra/puddle_of_sperm/pen1s_collider/chicken.watermelon/moohawk

Bellaz89

Today I had a very unpleasant experience in a game. A player named harmony insulted me for the whole game just because I played bad.

They went as far as stating they have had a *** intercourse with my mother and other racist offences (really?? only because we were losing a non-competitive game on a free-to-play videogame run by volunteers?).

Now, I don't really care about this kind of childish attitude. I usually play to relax after work. But I thought that reporting such toxic behavior would help other players avoid wasting their time with this frustrated person.

PS: so far I didn't have had (luckly!) many experiences like this on 0ad. I think that overall players like the one above are a minority in our community. Which is full of passionate and fair people :) .

Update: Added the different account names of player harmony to the title

Edited by Bellaz89
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

• Bellaz89 changed the title to Toxic player: harmony

There are indeed a few such players. Unfortunately there is no way how to ask lobby moderator to punish such player. Either they will ask you for thousands of evidence, and even if you provided it (but who makes screenshots in game right?) they tell you hosted game is in full control of person who host.

Also there is no send flowers to such person in-game so in fact no single way of defense. The worst part is other players won't care much, they simply want play fast, not their problem or just ignore him. 

With the time tere will be no enough players so you either doomed to not play or accept such toxic players.

Once I made a mod for host of the game, to be able to ban permanently such person, but reaction here was even worse. They blamed me I'm bad person.

There is no solution to stupidity other then just leave this game.

Nobody will listen us.
See result 1 month later or 1 year later..

so we write such text here just at least feel some stress reliev.

• Thanks 2

As said, believe or not, I do not care. They just ruined one game (only curious why these people act like this).

And I usually play with a group of friends. So our solution is to just blacklist these people from our TGs.

Edited by Bellaz89

Hello, thank you for reporting these facts. I am sorry for the events that have taken place.

Indeed, quite despicable people are not rejected by anyone because we need people to fill the games. While waiting for a more permanent solution in development, there is a mod to stop seeing messages from unwanted people.

I don't really believe it but maybe this player could apologize to you.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Philip the Swaggerless said:

Harmony is another smurf account of Shyft_Sierra.  Today he told me I should've been aborted and I should kill myself.

Interesting, I encountered this player earlier and he was nice to me, but I only played one and probably did not catch on to his behavior tendencies. I would say Shyft_sierra and his smurf accounts rank as number 1 on toxicity scale. He makes JC look like an angel.

It seems most people let Shyft sierra play despite his level of toxicity, but I would support hosts that ban him from their games.

Edited by BreakfastBurrito_007
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting this info. It helps to inform the player base so that a decentralized justice system can be effective.

According to user1, lobby moderators aren't responsible for moderating player conduct within the game. The "jurisdiction" of a lobby moderator is public lobby messages, user names, and game room names.

The in-game conduct needs to be moderated by the game host and the players in the game. My recommendation is for more hosters to establish rules for their games, and for more players to join such games. Here is a forum thread with my advice about how to choose and enforce rules for the "pro" or "OP" team games.

In addition, I would like to see lobby bans become more effective, and when lobby bans are effective then in-game bans are effective. We need a C++ software developer to volunteer to help with that.

Edited by Norse_Harold
  • Like 2

I think we requested for chat moderator in another threads . We can extend the lobby moderator chat bot to in-game chat as well. Something that can be done easily and fast.

Now coming back to Shyft_sierra, sometimes he does trash talk a lot. I can't upload gameplay videos whenever I'm playing with him becasue too much abusive language. I did upload last game while playing TG with him, only to realize how much trash talk he does during game. Although, I don't trash talk to anyone including him, but I think he went extreme to some players in some cases. 

To prevent such cases, we can work towards extedning lobby bot support to in-game chat. The next level of moderation can be worked upon accordingly.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Bellaz89 said:

Today I had a very unpleasant experience in a game. A player named harmony insulted me for the whole game just because I played bad.

They went as far as stating they have had a *** intercourse with my mother and other racist offences (really?? only because we were losing a non-competitive game on a free-to-play videogame run by volunteers?).

Now, I don't really care about this kind of childish attitude. I usually play to relax after work. But I thought that reporting such toxic behavior would help other players avoid wasting their time with this frustrated person.

PS: so far I didn't have had (luckly!) many experiences like this on 0ad. I think that overall players like the one above are a minority in our community. Which is full of passionate and fair people :) .

There are lot of ways you can pay back this dude, make as much army as you can and rams and resign near his cc. send all you resources to some one who is border with him or fighting this dude etc. believe me this guy will feel a lot irritated after this and he will start talking BS to you take screenshots and send that to devs. 

Edited by leopard
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, leopard said:

There are lot of ways you can pay back this dude, make as much army as you can and rams and resign near his cc. send all you resources to some one who is border with him or fighting this dude etc. believe me this guy will feel a lot irritated after this and he will start talking BS to you take screenshots and send that to devs. 

Thanks for the advices, but I really don't want to pay back  them (although at a certain point in that game I just ordered all my units to circle around their CC.. which triggered them even more and that was funny :P). The kind of offences they use are something like a middle-school bully could say. So nothing that could honestly hurt me at my age :)

My problems with being insulted the whole game are:

1. If I am constantly pinged with insults I lose focus on the game and I play worse.
  2. Even if I do not feel offended, the game experience becomes unpleasant. Again, I usually play 0ad to relax after work. So playing in this condition is just a waste of time for me. I don't want to spend my free time with socially incapable kids.

So, sorry, if it happens that I am playing one of your TG and one player start to talk to me with such level of aggression, I would just either quit the game before the end or start playing not seriously. I try always to play at my best  and not quit in advance because I respect  other players and their time regardless of their skill level. But thrash talking is one exception to this rule.

There are people that are fine or don't care playing with players that lack even the minimum amount of social skill.   I cannot.  And I think there are other players like me that would prefer to avoid playing with them. Therefore, as @Norse_Harold has said, I think this thread could be useful to ban harmony/Shyft_sierra from non-toxic games and have decentralized moderation.

So if this decentralized ban is applied I (and hopefully the majority of other players) could enjoy 0ad game more.

The only reason I can think this person should be stopped is that new or sensitive players could quit playing 0ad. But this is more a problem of the whole (developers, moderators and players) community than mine.

Edited by Bellaz89
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Bellaz89 changed the title to Toxic player: harmony/Shaved_below/Shyft_Sierra/puddle_of_sperm/pen1s_collider/chicken.watermelon/moohawk
  • 1 month later...

Today, while we were spectating a team game, Shyft_Sierra threatened to commit violence against me. I said nothing to him. Also, I haven't been talking behind his back. He could easily reply to this thread.

Shyft_Sierra, animosity between us is imagined. I'm merely enforcing the established rules for Wildfire Games on everyone, equally. There's no personal conflict between us. Threatening anyone with violence is a legal violation. This will not be tolerated.

2022-12-04 Shyft_Sierra threatening Norse_Harold with violence.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, poised said:

can we block players in the lobby we don't want to see?

You can download autociv mod by nani which offers such a solution.

@Stan` @user1 @Dunedan  All said by the players above, this is constant, happens in every game and makes the game hard to enjoy, no regret by the player. Please act on that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Dakara said:

what it the best sentence? lawsuit? trial? 

A law suit should generally be possible, but it would require to track the IP at least. The best solution is, if he would be ignored by everyone, but some people find the whole thing entertaining and will not do so, and also it would not be optimal if new players suffer from the phenomena and no other players realize to give support.

Edited by MarcusAureliu#s
  • Thanks 2

He almost does this in every single game , regardless of your age or position. Sometimes he insult literally for no reason at all. I try hard to understand him but no point. So far the best solution is to mute him or if you are host just prevent him from joining your games.

There are rules in the lobby itself. This behavior in the main lobby is solely prohibited as you know. But during game, i believe players needs to take actions themselves, ignore, mute, kick or ban him. Rage is almost in every gaming community and it's understandable by me but he really over do it . Insulting player's parents, telling people to commit suicide etc is a very dangerous thing to overlook. I hope @user1 @Stan` looks into this

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, rossenburg said:

He almost does this in every single game , regardless of your age or position. Sometimes he insult literally for no reason at all. I try hard to understand him but no point. So far the best solution is to mute him or if you are host just prevent him from joining your games.

There are rules in the lobby itself. This behavior in the main lobby is solely prohibited as you know. But during game, i believe players needs to take actions themselves, ignore, mute, kick or ban him. Rage is almost in every gaming community and it's understandable by me but he really over do it . Insulting player's parents, telling people to commit suicide etc is a very dangerous thing to overlook. I hope @user1 @Stan` looks into this

Yeah, and be aware that they often do their verbal assault behind the curtains in Observers private chat so the host of the game cannot see what's going on. I wouldn't be surprised if they join a match after it started solely for this reason. So, if you care about this, ban them from your game even if they are observer.

Edited by Bellaz89
  • Like 1

System wide solution could be:

- Act fast no delays!
- Mute user from lobby by system and disallow to create a hosted game via lobby.

- Players who host would simply not assign or auto-ban him (HostEnhanced mod has such feature)
- To avoid another account creation simply ban IP for a day/week

Apply to any account with similar behaviour. Only strong enforcement is the way how to threat with toxic.

None of above followed = dont waste your time to even resolve it

and to contribute - this player is banned from any my hosted game since today.

Edited by Kampot
  • Thanks 2

(quite obvious tip but whatever)

.. also don't try to answer back to Shyft_Sierra in ANY situation. This kind of people do this to get attention/hurt others and they are just better than you in being toxic.

If they see some reaction they will attack you harder. If you ignore them they will just lose interest at certain point.

Edited by Bellaz89
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kampot said:

System wide solution could be:

- Act fast no delays!
- Mute user from lobby by system and disallow to create a hosted game via lobby.

- Players who host would simply not assign or auto-ban him (HostEnhanced mod has such feature)
- To avoid another account creation simply ban IP for a day/week

Apply to any account with similar behaviour. Only strong enforcement is the way how to threat with toxic.

None of above followed = dont waste your time to even resolve it

and to contribute - this player is banned from any my hosted game since today.

The problem about banning IPs is that this can be easily circumvented by using a VPN.

Sure, it makes it harder for someone to create a double account. But it doesn't prevent it for someone with motivation. Even if this is wanted (banning a physical person from playing 0ad, even if very toxic), I don't see any technical solution that can reasonably fix this. This is hard for commercial games with a lot of manpower and money. For 0ad IMHO it is impossible.

Edited by Bellaz89

16 minutes ago, Kampot said:

It is not problem. If you read my recommended steps and just loop them to any account with such behaviour at the end such player will end-up of unable to login or need to make great effort to get so many VPN services... 

I do beliave such person simply act in good manner after he/she spots there is punishment without excuse.

3x times per account = permaban from system would be also great feature.

Why many VPN services? They just need one. Their IP is renewed (chosen from the VPN  provider IP pool) every time they connect to the VPN. Some internet providers even out-of-the-box do NAT or give you a random IP from their pool every time you connect to save money.

Or maybe I am missing something..

Edited by Bellaz89

• Bellaz89 changed the title to Toxic player: harmony/Shaved_below/Shyft_Sierra/puddle_of_sperm/pen1s_collider/chicken.watermelon/moohawk
  • Stan` locked this topic