Slobodan Milosevic is dead

http://sympaticomsn.ctv.ca/servlet/Article...sovic_ap_060311

Former Yugoslav leader Slobodan Milosevic was found dead in his prison cell near The Hague Saturday morning.

The Hague, the United Nations tribunal, reported the death.

"Milosevic was found lifeless on his bed in his cell at the United Nations detention unit," the U.N. tribunal said in a statement.

"The guard immediately alerted the detention unit officer in command and the medical officer. The latter confirmed that Slobodan Milosevic was dead."

Milosevic, 65, was on trial facing war crimes charges for his roll in the Balkan wars of the 1990s, which he is said to have orchestrated.

Under Milosevic's leadership, Serbia fought in four Balkan wars, including the bloody 1992-95 Bosnia war, which left 200,000 people dead.

Milosevic had a heart condition and high blood pressure. It appeared he had died of natural causes, but a toxicology report has been ordered and an autopsy will be carried out to determine the cause of death.

Milosevic has been on trial since February, 2002. The 66 war crimes charges against him include counts of genocide in Croatia, Bosnia and Kosovo.

The trial has been interrupted numerous times due to Milosevic's poor health. The tribunal had recently denied Milosevic's request to travel to Russia to receive specialized medical treatment.

Milosevic said his health was worsening and he would challenge the decision.

Milosevic's brother Borislav said the war crimes court was "entirely responsible" for his death, according to the Interfax news agency.

Last week, Milosevic's trial was put on hold until to await his next defence witness.

Milosevic had submitted a subpoena request to force former U.S. president Bill Clinton to take the stand as a witness.

There is a history of suicide in Milosevic's family. Both of his parents took their own life.

But Milosevic's lawyer rejected suggestions his client committed suicide. Steven Kay said the former president recently vowed to him that he would keep fighting his case.

"He said to me a few weeks ago, 'I haven't fought this case for as long as I have with any intention to do any harm to myself," Kay told the BBC.

There was little sympathy from widows and mothers of Muslims who were killed during the Bosnian war in Srebrenica. The Association of Srebrenica Mothers were primarily concerned that Milosevic's death meant he would not have to face justice for his crimes.

Goodbye and good riddance.

Too bad he didn't get punished...

There is no punishment great enough for the crimes against humanity that Milosevic, Hitler, etc., committed. The whole "punishment system" is flawed in the sense that the system reduces the severity of a crime to a measurable sentence. Instead of a system predicated on revenge disguised as "justice", the more effective solution is to remove these criminals from the time and space we occupy. Aggressive prevention systems work far more wonders than passive reactive systems.

There is no punishment great enough for the crimes against humanity that Milosevic, Hitler, etc., committed. The whole "punishment system" is flawed in the sense that the system reduces the severity of a crime to a measurable sentence. Instead of a system predicated on revenge disguised as "justice", the more effective solution is to remove these criminals from the time and space we occupy. Aggressive prevention systems work far more wonders than passive reactive systems.

I can agree with your first few statements, however, how do you propose "agressive" prevention for serious crimes? I am interested in the details of what you mean here.

About Milosevic, it would be interesting to hear the Serbian reaction to his death.

I agree that there should be more preventitive measures in place rather than reactive measures, but we must also consider how to properly punish war crimminals. And of course there should be measures in place to prevent them from pulling a Hermann Göring before they can be punished.

I can agree with your first few statements, however, how do you propose "aggressive" prevention for serious crimes? I am interested in the details of what you mean here.

Research and analyze that which prompted the crime and enact legislation and/or resolutions that either ensure that such crime does not occur or lessens the risk of occurrence of such crime. Easier said than done; however, passive reactive systems are far more expensive in terms of lives depleted, the resulting effect on local and global economy, and the resulting inflation of opportunity costs.