Ken Wood

Wijitmaker

[img center]http://www.wildfiregames.com/images/ken.jpg[/img center]

It is with great sadness that I bring news that our close friend, head of the 0 A.D. design department and co-lead designer of 0 A.D. has passed away after a long fight with cancer. I had the honor of getting to work with Ken over the years through the design process of the game. This includes nearly seven hundred emails, thousands of forum posts, and even a few phone calls.

He was so instrumental in the first few steps we made on this crazy journey. The fact of the matter is that without his support, insight, and overwhelming amount of time and energy he contributed to this project, you would not be reading this because the game as we know it wouldn’t exist. Ken poured so much of his personal passion into this game. I wish I could have given him the final copy of 0 A.D. before he left us.

I know many of you didn’t know him, but I will carry him in my heart for the rest of my life. We here at WFG offer our deepest sympathies for the Wood family and thank you so much for sharing him with us these last few years. He taught us so much, and had such a big heart - not just for the game but for all the people he was in contact with here.

For the team, I’d like to refresh you with some more of that ever present support, here is Ken in his own words:

[img center]http://www.wildfiregames.com/0ad/images/staffmotto.jpg[/img center]

Off of that small sentence introducing a subsequent and probably overlong post on a forum now 'far away' a 'long time ago' was born not only a concept but a leader of men... to be joined by others who would also become leaders of men in their own right and working together for the good of all to have brought us to this point wherein we've collectively made so much progress towards getting this game made. I am summarily proud to have coined a 'beacon' subsequently set before Staff. And I am summarily proud of you all.

The other wonderful thing about all this is that YOU people are ALSO the leaders of 'tomorrow'... as so many of you will go on to achieve great things in life.

Some of you I have practically 'watched grow up' in not only in age but in skills and knowledge and 'wisdom'... that does my heart good because I know that most will go on to achieve a certain greatness in your own lives that is a cut better than the average bear in the woods will, or can. I've often been held in awe and admiration of what you people have learned to do, how you think, and the spirit of teamwork that comes to imbue you as you continue to work with and get to know even better your 'mates' on the projects. One man a genius can only accomplish so much, many men of intelligence can accomplish SO MUCH MORE. Thank you for being who you are.

If you would like to read more about Ken, we have his profile HERE – and an interview HERE. If you would like to leave a note for his family, I encourage you to do so HERE. We are going to miss you Ken.

• Like 3

• 11 years later...
9 minutes ago, sphyrth said:

This seems to be an all the more reason A23 should be named after him.

And even make a tutorial where he teach you the basic combat of 0 A.D. He can be Veteran soldier or be like Anthony Hopkins in Alexander (Ptolemy) so Ptolemy teach about Alexander, obviusly we don't use his voice but can portrait as a older man that guide  through Hellenistic World.

The image would be a portrait.

• Like 1

It would not surprise me if the next version was named in his honor, but I don't know if it would be a good idea to include him as a character in the game. It feels like it could be disrespectful, but maybe not. I didn't know him, so I can't really say. Maybe @Wijitmaker has got a better idea of whether or not it would be a good thing. Regardless it would probably be more relevant with a historical figure. Maybe Aristotle? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stanislas69 said:

Yeah @feneur you have a good point. Dunno was just a proposal.

I definitely think it's worth thinking about, I am not saying it is a necessarily bad idea. I do however think it would have to be explained well if we include a 20th century person in a game that takes place 2000 years ago :)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, feneur said:

It would not surprise me if the next version was named in his honor, but I don't know if it would be a good idea to include him as a character in the game. It feels like it could be disrespectful, but maybe not. I didn't know him, so I can't really say. Maybe @Wijitmaker has got a better idea of whether or not it would be a good thing. Regardless it would probably be more relevant with a historical figure. Maybe Aristotle? 

Yes , the idea is ask to his family. For me have a neme for a beta isn't enough. 

Yescan be nice ask Old timer, what happen with the other guy , Stuart?.