Suggestion - Reset all ratings and change the system

Wendy22

Hi,

i think its time to reset all ratings and change the system, nobody cares about rating anymore since there are lot of weak players with 19xx / 2k ratings...

my suggest is to reset all ratings and change the system to that:

-all 1vs1 games will be Rated.

-u can't lose points (but u will lose your statistics), the points u will get will depends on your oponent rank.

- if your oponent is lower than 200 points than yours, u will win no rating points (only statistics)

i think this will drive again the passion to play 1vs1 games, anyway this is my opinion it could be bad idea tho :)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

@Wendy22 your idea needs to be modification imo. your motivation i like it. i understand you (send a <3heard but not fully support your idea).

there was some attempts already. maybe you will web-search that

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:https://wildfiregames.com+rating+seeh
https://wildfiregames.com/forum/topic/25943-n00b-ranting-rating-system/?do=findComment&comment=422745

Edited by seeh

Bear with me as I offer up the perspective of a noob (which understandably may not hold any weight with folks around here)...

Having discovered 0AD recently and growing keenly interested in everything "under the hood" I've come to expect that playing against the AI will soon become of limited enjoyment. Which means I will eventually want to head over to play 1v1 with other live players.

But I remain hesitant to take that step.

My limited reading about live play suggests that the rating system is messed up (given comments on Youtube and this forum) and so I don't want to jump in and get tossed around by a confused rating system. Frankly, it has kept me from getting involved in live play.

At a minimum, having a "non-rated" play arena might be more inviting ( = more 0AD users over time), as a kind of "live-play sandbox" where new players (or seasoned players, for that matter) can explore the game with human interaction without concerns about how it might affect their rating. This non-rated option has been offered in certain online chess platforms.

If it were an option, I'd probably be playing there regularly - without concern for how all the blunders and mistakes I'll be making while I learn more about the game would be affecting my "track record" down the line.

[And of course, if such a "non-rated" offering is already available, please advise! I haven't even bothered to search given all the complaints I see about the current state of the rating system. If it exists, I'll be over there looking for some 1v1 fun together.]

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SomeGuy said:

Bear with me as I offer up the perspective of a noob (which understandably may not hold any weight with folks around here)...

Having discovered 0AD recently and growing keenly interested in everything "under the hood" I've come to expect that playing against the AI will soon become of limited enjoyment. Which means I will eventually want to head over to play 1v1 with other live players.

But I remain hesitant to take that step.

My limited reading about live play suggests that the rating system is messed up (given comments on Youtube and this forum) and so I don't want to jump in and get tossed around by a confused rating system. Frankly, it has kept me from getting involved in live play.

At a minimum, having a "non-rated" play arena might be more inviting ( = more 0AD users over time), as a kind of "live-play sandbox" where new players (or seasoned players, for that matter) can explore the game with human interaction without concerns about how it might affect their rating. This non-rated option has been offered in certain online chess platforms.

If it were an option, I'd probably be playing there regularly - without concern for how all the blunders and mistakes I'll be making while I learn more about the game would be affecting my "track record" down the line.

[And of course, if such a "non-rated" offering is already available, please advise! I haven't even bothered to search given all the complaints I see about the current state of the rating system. If it exists, I'll be over there looking for some 1v1 fun together.]

you can host or play unrated games, or team games, which are also unrated.

• Like 3

1. Huh, reset? I imagine I'd lose interest to gather points in that case.

2. Also not sure that it's "ratings nobody cares about" - isn't the recent community-mod tournament used Ratings to match opponents? Also I hope to see new tournaments organized and I guess they will use Rating to build up leagues/pairs. 

3. Also one example from another open-source project (OpenRA Red Alert/Tiberian Dawn) - it has ratings website like this https://oraladder.net/ . It's divided in "This Period" and "All time" ratings with record to games. You can even watch replays. :)

4. One of parameters to seed leagues in OpenRA RAGL tournament is using Ladder ratings as well. So if you succeed to find opponent you could get into top league(s) in 1st season I think. Otherwise you start from the lowest league.

Edited by BeTe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BTW looking into money-system discussions i found the term Negative interest rate economy. it remembers me to real skills. if i don't train i loose my skills.
"Negative interest rate economy ... monetary system with negative interest rates ... New money could be pumped into the economy (through open market transactions) just as it is today" ( https://sacred-economics.com/kapitel-12-eine-negativzinswirtschaft/ )

6 minutes ago, seeh said:

BTW looking into money-system discussions i found the term Negative interest rate economy. it remembers me to real skills. if i don't train i loose my skills.
"Negative interest rate economy ... monetary system with negative interest rates ... New money could be pumped into the economy (through open market transactions) just as it is today" ( https://sacred-economics.com/kapitel-12-eine-negativzinswirtschaft/ )

Dude you want to kill us with inflation like global economist did to us in real life?! :D 

Yeah, in OpenRA Ladder if you play with much better player and you lose, you will still get points. And opponent will get points as well. But both of you get so small amount of points which makes such matches pointless. That actually makes sense to me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Wendy22 said:

@SomeGuy i suggest you start playing with real players, first team games / unrated 1vs1. its pretty different vs real players than AI

Great to learn that unrated games are an option. I've created ID/access to the "Lobby" ... is there a way to tell which games are being hosted as "unrated"? There's no marker I can spot just yet, but certainly it must be an important feature for those who are playing.

17 minutes ago, alre said:

when you are in it, if it's rated you can see a red line in the bottom right saying it's rated. also you can check in the "game" option in the right. games with more than two players are never rated.

Thanks! I've poked around further ... Where exactly is this red line seen? Before joining a game is it visible somewhere? Can't seem to locate such an indicator yet. :unsure:

41 minutes ago, Wendy22 said:

SomeGuy just host a game by your own and play with the settings, then u will see where is that red line when u mark "Rated" and how it disapear when u unmark the option. best is to see it yourself. gl :)

Thanks! I think I'll spend more time observing and seeing if I can ever find the red line somewhere before I venture into hosting. I'm still trying to master "guest'ing" ;-)

Edited by SomeGuy

• 1 month later...

If you can't see the line of red words saying "rated game" at the bottom right, when the game is getting set, then it isn't a rated game. Games don't have to be rated. The idea of ratings is really helpful because most of us like to see new players and want them to have a fair and fun experience. The best idea around ratings is to give us the opportunity to balance team games. It is no good putting 4 weak players against even 2 or 3 strong players. The problem is that it is not clear how the ratings work to achieve that. Someone might have played 10 games against their one mate and won seven of them and has a rating that is higher than someone who has played 243 games against some of the best players around and won 38.

What about all the time rating + current alfa "rating" - both would be updated at the same time, but in-game visible only "current alfa" rating + in user profile would be "all the time rating"

if you like this idea give it like - many people just read and dont act.. Be better!

i thought of this too, resetting ratings every alpha would be better. Most 2000+ players do not move on unless they find a player >= 1900 to play with. Lorenz123 left the game years ago and somehow still remains in top 100 till now, i think he's in top 15. This is because higher players needs to play with other higher ranked players in other to get good ratings. If there's no higher ranked player to play with, the leaderboard is just stagnant. I bet 80% of the top 100 players are offline for years, making it hard for the leaderboard to move as its supposed to

• Like 4