Will 0AD be released on steam?

But DLC will be optional, only for people, who would like donate and support you. Because, for example, I'm from Russia and I cannot donate from the site due to sanctions and I can do it through Steam.

And, why not to release game on Steam with Early access? Steam community is huge, and you can write announcements and news about the game in there and release new alphas and demos. And a lot of people will know about the game, more than they know about it now.

Edited by VicemanUral

12 minutes ago, VicemanUral said:

But DLC will be optional, only for people, who would like donate and support you. Because, for example, I'm from Russia and I cannot donate from the site due to sanctions and I can do it through Steam.

I totally understand, it's a pity that westerners make such bad decisions.

Back on topic, the problem is that the nature of the project is collaborative, how many Developers do you think we are?
There are several of us and there is no way to share money as we agree to do it for free.

What I have seen that Russia is doing, it is still through third parties like China or India, maybe there is a non-Western company where you can make donations.

gRgeuXp.gif

Spoiler

most of the world is not going to wreck its economy for the puppet zelesnky.

they are just a couple of countries that are nations under the US foot and the military industrial complex (sorry for the political commentary but I dislike the lies and war propaganda).

maybe you can make donations via Russia's partners in latin america ?

i don't know if bitcoin can be exchanged in dollars (i would say in euros but at this rate the euro is not worth anything).

1 hour ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

I don't know if bitcoin can be exchanged in dollars

Bitcoin can be exchanged in dollars, I think 0AD should accept crypto donations, If we are not already accepting. most crypto currencies are $H1Tcoins but Bitcoin is great, I think some kind of Bitcoin relationship is good for 0AD to grow since the bitcoiners tend to be kind of people who try to learn things in detail and are likely to support 0AD.

Edited by leopard

2 hours ago, leopard said:

Bitcoin can be exchanged in dollars, I think 0AD should accept crypto donations, If we are not already accepting. most crypto currencies are $H1Tcoins but Bitcoin is great, I think some kind of Bitcoin relationship is good for 0AD to grow since the bitcoiners tend to be kind of people who try to learn things in detail and are likely to support 0AD.

It's not up to us to decide what is or not accepted. It's SPI. You can contact them directly.

Crypto wallets have also recently been banned in Russia due to sanctions of the European Parliament... Even if I somehow find a loophole through some countries, it’s still not an option. Someone’s gonna want to figure it out, and someone’s gonna give up and there’s gonna be more of them.

But I ask you to keep Steam Early Access page not only for that players from Russia can support your work, there will, frankly, still be few. And to keep your work going and the project going. Whoever wants to support you, will buy this DLC, who will want to play for free, will play for free. But most importantly, more people will know about the project and I think the development with the new finances and, maybe, with new peoples, will go faster. Many developers do so, even developers of modifications, example: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1508910/RealRTCW__Supporter_Pack/

Edited by VicemanUral

30 minutes ago, VicemanUral said:

Crypto wallets have also recently been banned in Russia due to sanctions of the European Parliament... Even if I somehow find a loophole through some countries, it’s still not an option. Someone’s gonna want to figure it out, and someone’s gonna give up and there’s gonna be more of them.

From my understanding, anyone can generate and hold a crypto wallet. So the ban would apply only for wallets held in western crypto services like coinbase etc. which make it easy to trade them, but it's still possible to make transactions without them. Also I imagine there are exchanges based in Russia, a quick search gave me Matbea (I couldn't find if they allow transactions to any wallet though).

If you don't want the transaction to be traced back to Russia (which could be a problem if the crypto ban goes to the next level) then from what I saw Monero offer such privacy guarrantees.

Of course, although these methods work, they would not be super convenient.

I never worked with crypto though so if I'm wrong in anything I said please correct me.

On 16/10/2022 at 9:42 AM, fabio said:

While the code is open source and redistributable, I am not sure they could (or at least should) (ab)use the same name (0 A.D.) and logo.

Like CentOS / Red Hat, same code but different name and logo.

It's already been removed from Steam. I'm not surprised it was easy to have it removed. Though I don't know the steps taken to have it removed.

I was just looking through the gpl-2 license file in the source root of the 0ad distribution. I didn't see anything that stated that derivative works must be of a different name than the original work. But perhaps "derived work" implies it's "separate" because it was "derived" from the original.

My interpretation is that In this case, the person who put that on Steam did not have the rights because he or she wasn't distributing it as a derivative work, but branding it as the original work.

Furthermore, section 2, subsection b of the GPL2 license states

b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in
    whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any
    part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third
    parties under the terms of this License.

I read in a reddit post that the person who posted this on Steam was planning to charge 8 Euros for it. My interpretation of subsection b is that if someone tries to publish the original or derived work, they do not have any rights to charge money for it. Note that if the prepositional and a few other phrases are removed:

You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that...in whole ... contains...the Program...to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties...

Edited by andy5995

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/10/2022 at 12:40 AM, andy5995 said:

You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that...in whole ... contains...the Program...to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties...

I believe it just means you cannot charge us if you distribute the software. But the GPL2+ definitely allows for commercial use.

Now the real question is do we have GPL3 code, e.g in libraries, because those have an extra clause that might not be compatible. The TIVO clause.

• Like 1