Will 0AD be released on steam?

14 minutes ago, alre said:

are you going to allow this? you have rights on the name and symbol.

Those were not copyrighted maybe we should ask SPI to register them.

Technically they did nothing wrong in the sense that the license was respected and attribution was given.

I'm not sure what I'm gonna do need to get in touch with them first. Cause we sure as hell ain't releasing anything on the 23rd of December.

Also a steam presence has some heavy consequences on the lobby, with regards to server load and moderation.

And finally I have no idea what they did with the game.

• Like 3

IIRC, 0 A.D cannot be legally released on steam as of now (Valve requires some copyright waivers that we cannot give due to the lack of a CLA). So they did do something wrong, and we should probably contact Valve as we have like 2 decades of contributors who have not agreed to said waivers.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, smiley said:

IIRC, 0 A.D cannot be legally released on steam as of now (Valve requires some copyright waivers that we cannot give due to the lack of a CLA). So they did do something wrong, and we should probably contact Valve as we have like 2 decades of contributors who have not agreed to said waivers.

I believe it's only if you use their API but IANAL.

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

Also explains the name issue on YouTube.

It does indeed. wtf.

According to https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/sdk you have to use the SDK to upload the game, but https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/sdk/uploading/distributing_opensource says if you use GPL you can decide that that's not actually part of the software and therefore ok?

But I think (hope) steam will not be ok with people releasing games that someone else develops.

• Like 3

Its somewhat out of our hands, but we can make the gratis notice more prominent from our side.

Although you might find some people selling copies of 0 A.D., either over the internet or on physical media, you will always have the option to download 0 A.D. completely gratis, directly from the developers. No “freemium” model, no in-game advertising, no catch.

• Like 2

As it hasn't been posted before: The URL of the Steam profile page shown in OP is https://store.steampowered.com/app/2158440/0_AD_Empires_Ascendant/

Interesting:

1. In the title of the profile page is a typo. The 'D' for domini isn't followed by a dot.
  2. While Wildfire Games is listed as developer, Public Games Distribution is set as publisher. Only game of this publisher is 0 A.D.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fabio said:

While the code is open source and redistributable, I am not sure they could (or at least should) (ab)use the same name (0 A.D.) and logo.

Like CentOS / Red Hat, same code but different name and logo.

As you can see they are releasing it under the name of Wildfire Games.At least that shouldn't be legal.

On 15/10/2022 at 10:08 AM, Stan` said:

I was not made aware of this. I have no idea what's going on

Looks like they kick us. If they really release it. Maybe even sell it on Steam? Sad. Will they give royalties? Should if then sell on blockchain/graph (has automatic royalties mechanism even on resell)

1 minute ago, leopard said:

could this be a trick to push wildfire games to release 0AD on steam, I would like to see more players playing 0AD of course.

If it is it's a terrible one. Imagine 1000 player coming here to complain about DDOS? That would crash the lobby server and maybe the forums, if we're not ready.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

SPI does work with a law firm but I don't know if they will help us in a timely fashion. (My experience has not been good in this respect.)

I'm not sure I would handle this using legal means anyway.

I would just write Steam and ask to take it down, and see what they say. I doubt that Valve would want to keep the game on their platform against the creators' wishes. That would be an unnecessary legal and PR risk on their side.

• Like 5