Monthly Review - January 2006

Wijitmaker

award.gif

This individual has been awarded the following due to outstanding accomplishments as the 0 A.D. Staff Member for the month of January:

Jan Wassenberg (aka janwas): Now, I don't mean to be funny, but there is something very beneficial that Jan worked on this month that was put into the game. I'm just not sure exactly what it is. It is something to do with low level file loading, zip libraries, memory, speed, and optimization. What I do know is that the game runs better than it did last month. I try not to ask too many questions *wink*. Jan was able to use his work on this as part of his thesis for his university. Maybe he'll stop by with a comment later to help describe this better. Thanks Jan, and a job well done!

Thanks also to Matei and Andrew who both accomplished a lot of goodies this last month, some of which are noted below.

Team accomplishments for the month of January:

• Jan's low level optimizations
  • Added pause game functionality
  • Completed conversion to generic order system
  • Started development of more advanced attack system (melee, ranged and charge attacks)
  • Fixed a number of bugs (divisions by zero, etc...)
  • Added player selection in Atlas
  • Entity notifications
  • Implemented run/stamina
  • Minimap updates: drag and order issuing
  • Cinematic player now works
  • Defined additional parameters for the playing of ambient sounds
  • Outlined Intensity/Priority/Listener Position/Groupling/XML/Proximity/Randomness.
  • GUI progress in the user config menu
  • More Linux build updates
  • Reinstated the ingame manual to its rightful place
  • 15 new humanoid animations
  • Upgraded the forums and made 3 new forum skins
  • Three new history articles:
                Biographies: Pericles
                Biographies: Cunobelinus
                Biographies: Caradoc

Edited by Acumen

hehe - indeed ;) Stamina is basically a feature that is linked with running. So, as you run the unit looses their stamina. When the stamina is depleted they will not be able to run anymore. It may sound insignificant, but it opens a huge door of possibilities to both developers and modders (in the future) for some really creative features. Feel free to speculate ;)