Happy Groundhog day!

Today, in Canada and the United States , is the day that the we look to the common groundhog to enlighten us on how many more weeks of winter we can look forward to.

The traditions states that if the groundhog emerges from his burrow on the morning of Febuary 2 and sees his shadow, winter will last for another six weeks. However, if the groundhog fails to see his shadow we will get an early spring.

So, here are the predictions for 2006 from some famous groundhogs-

6 more weeks of winter — Punxsutawney Phil

Early Spring — Wiarton Willie, General Beauregard Lee, Staten Island Chuck, Shubenacadie Sam, Jimmy the Groundhog

wiarton-willie-01.jpg

Wiarton Willie, Ontario's famous albino groundhog

Now this is our American groundhog, Punxsutawney Phil!

027.jpg

Here's a little rhyme that goes with it:

It is said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Around the country there are many imitators of me.

In Harrisburg there is Gus who appears on TV

working for the lottery.

Then all around town,

Cute groundhog statues abound.

They all look like me, I found.

Today on the Knob as I'm doing my job,

I don't like this likeness of me.

It's my shadow I see. Six more weeks of mild winter there will be.

Groundhog day is always celebrated on the Christian Feast of Candlemas. The traditions stems from this Scottish poem- "As the light grows longer The cold grows stronger If Candlemas be fair and bright Winter will have another flight If Candlemas be cloud and rain Winter will be gone and not come again". It originated in 1887 in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania.

Wiarton Willie, Canada's famous albino groundhog, began his work in the 50's when a resturant owner in Wiarton (a picturesque) town of 2300) wanted to increase tourism. The first "Groundhog" was in fact his wife's fur hat ;)

My dog ate a groundhog one time. I'm sure it was atleast as big as Phil... Why did they choose Phil? I've seen some much larger ones in Tennessee.

Yeah, I would have to agree. Most Americans are pretty dumb. There are exceptions..well not really... well there are a few I suppose. But really, I'm pretty sure every country has thier "dumb" traditions, that other countries would think is silly.

I'm so not getting off topic here.