Canada Votes 2006

Canadians are going to the polls today to elect a new government. Most people are saying that our current government, the Liberal Party of Canada led by Prime Minister Paul Martin will lose to the Conservative Party. So far this is how the parties currently stand:

Conservative Party: 37%

Liberal Party: 27%

NDP Party: 19%

Bloc Quebecois Party: 11%

Green Party: 6%

My own prediction for the outcome of this election is a Liberal Minority government, because (in my humble opinion) when it comes right down to it Canadians prefer to elect the devil they know, rather than the devil they dont :P

I was browsing through the Elections Canada site, and I found this in the FAQ-

"Is someone allowed to eat a ballot?"

WTF???!!!

Another update- it looks as if my prediction was wrong :P. Most channels with election coverage have already began saying that a Conservative Party victory is assured.

If the Conservatives get in we can see-

Pro-American policies

Pro-Military policies

Private Healthcare System

Repeal of the Gay Marriage act

King Stephan Harper :P

I voted NDP simply because they have traditionally advocated for students like myself :P I'm glad that we have a minority Con government, since it limits their ability to go crazy with their policies. Even so I have absolutely no faith in Stephen Harper's ability to lead the country. And we will have another election in a year or two.

While I do have the right to vote until May, I did participate in the student elections at my HS. I voted Liberal, not because I like them but because I dislike both the extreme right wing Conservatives and the extreme left wing NDP. At first I supported the Conservatives, but I do not like their pro-american (well, pro-Bush I should say), pro-war and pro-two tier healthcare policies (beasied the fact that Stephen Harper reminds me of a weasel). Well, at least Conservative power is checked in a minority government and the NDP (I do like their good social values) has many more seats this time than in the last election.

There are dozens of parties, most will never be listed as they never get votes, (including several communist parties), but it depends on where you live in Canada as to what parties are available for you to vote for, although the major parties have a canidate in every area.

why do you Candians suppose the political ship of the people is changing course after the last 12 years?

Numerous reasons. For starters the Liberal Party was full of corruption- the big highlight of the year being the so-called Sponsorship Scandal in which more than $1 billion was given to Liberal-friendly ad agencies and found its way back to the Liberal Party. We know three things about the sponsorship scandal-

Chretien Bad

Martin Clueless

Money Gone

:P

The Sponsership Scandal gave everyone a bad taste for Liberals and this election was basically about shaking things up. Yet as you can see from the very small minority Conservative government people are not keen on Stephen Harper either. Mainly because they are afraid of his stance on privitization and being buddy-buddy with George Bush. If he had been in power in 2003 Canadian troops would have been in Iraq, which they very well might be anyway.

But it won't be long before we have another vote with minority government :P

I have my own reasons :

I am bored with centralizing federalism (and with the Tories, well, I am not pleased by other ideas) and I am bored with the Bloc, always yelling Quebec Quebec Quebec (I live in Quebec) : Canada is not only Quebec, wether you are Regionalist or Centralist, think globally. But, I will probably never find my "panacée", a regionalist party... So, totally bored, I chose the party that holds the ideas closest to my stand.

So, totally bored, I chose the party that holds the ideas closest to my stand.

As a Green Party supporter I'm sure you are not happy about Stephen Harper's announcment that he may reconsider plans (brought in by the Liberals) for the Kyoto Accord (and reconsidering the decision not to participate in the American Missile defense plan).