When creating new match, get error messages; "failed to load gui xml page" and other messages, Ubuntu 20.04, Zhu version

Hi.  0AD is a terrific game.  Never had any problem running it on Ubuntu Mate 20.04; I deleted saved games for a match I won, so I wanted to go to another difficulty level. Now, I cannot launch a new match--according to one of the errors, the gui xml is failing to load.  In the center of the screen, there is a window that says it is loading a map.  I have the Zhu version of 0AD.

I tried to delete 0AD, then reboot, then install again, but the error is still there and I can't launch a game.  Not sure what else to do?

Hi.  I still have the error--I'm not able to start new matches.  The snap version worked once, so when that version failed to let me create a new game the next time, I uninstalled it and installed the flathub--same experience, works once to let me create a new game, then the aforementioned errors appear.  I have attached the screen displaying the errors--the game friezes on that screen.

Errors screen.png

@a1872This is a known bug caused by playing "Regicide" mode in victory conditions with "Hero Garrison" enabled with "Persist match settings" enabled. You will need to delete matchsettings.json and matchsettings.mp.json in the Game Data config directory. Then, start 0ad again and it should work correctly.

In order to prevent the bug from occurring again you need to either disable persist match settings, or avoid enabling "Hero Garrison" whenever you play "Regicide" mode. Most of the skilled players do the latter.

Edited by Norse_Harold