Modpacks for 0 A.D.

Historicity

Wasn't the ancient Japanese military horse based, or am I imagining that?

Horses, bronze, and steel weapons were introduced in the 200s CE/AD. So its quite possible I suppose. Of course, that puts any reasonable Japanese military, at the very earliest, contemporary with the 0 AD expansion-era, or 1-500 CE/AD as I understand it.

An "Age of Mythology 2" full conversion is something I have in mind.

Ooo. I like that idea. I never got into playing AoM because of the circumstances that I was in at the time it came out, so I'd be happy to play a mod from 0AD.

Question though, Mythos. You considering using the same civilizations/gods?

Question though, Mythos. You considering using the same civilizations/gods?

Greeks, Egyptians, Norse, Mayans, and Hindus. :D

That's what I'd envision. Although I'd prolly combine the Mayans and Aztecs into an all-encompassing "Meso-American" faction. ;)

:)

Frankly awesome.

And this just came to me: If you're interested in mythology, you should definately check out this comic: http://www.zudacomics.com/high_moon. It's just begining its third season, and there is a ton of mytho-symbolism along with the appearences of some important mythological beasts and entities. Worth a look for any Age of Mythology fan. :) If it counts for anything, you have my guarantee that it is full of awesomeness and good storytelling.

• 3 months later...

hey, all. i can pretty much guarantee that none of you know me, but im a pretty big fan of RTS games, EE and AOM in particular. recently, ive been making written designs--just for fun--for a spiritual sequel to AOM. it would use most of the same game mechanics while still adding some new features (including a feature that i call the "line of awareness", which is basically a secondary LOS for added realism). i myself am, as yet, incapable of designing or even simple modification--no design tools :/

at the moment, im calling the game "Power of the Gods"

getting to the point, while i would LOVE for this to be a commercial game so that i can make a profit for my efforts, i would be just as content if this were made as freeware with the same engine as 0 A.D.. in fact, thats actually what i had thought of to begin with. perhaps POTG could be worked into a mythology-based version of 0 A.D. after the original game is released? ive already got all the civs for the original POTG devised and was hoping that there could be an even five civs for each "region". for the record, heres what i have, in case anyone else is interested or curious:

Greeks (Mediterranean)

Egyptians (Middle Eastern)

Scandian (European, previously Norse)*1

Celts (European)*2

Persians (Middle Eastern)

Hindus (Oriental)

Japanese (Oriental)

Romans (Mediterranean)*3

Anatolians (Mediterranean)*4

Mayans (Lost Worlds*5)

Semitic Peoples (Mediterranean)*6

Mesopotamians (Middle Eastern)*7

Slavs (European)

Chinese (Oriental)

*1: changed for geographic and cultural accuracy

*2: also taking content from various Arthurian legends

*3: taking content from all parts of Roman history. for example, their Olympic Age ship is teh Siphon Ship, which was only used by the Byzantine Romans during teh Middle Ages

*4: taking content from all tribes of Asia Minor and the Hittites, included mainly for the purpose of having Trojans in the game as a culturally significant entity aside from the Greeks

*5: "Lost Worlds" is a term being used here to refer to New World or quote unquote "lost" civilizations. for example, one of the expansion pack civilizations may end up being the Atlanteans, which would also be a "Lost World" civilization. the others would most likely be the Aztecs or Incas and the Polynesians

*6: the Semitic Peoples is a composite civilization. i was informed quite some time ago that teh Phoenicians and the Canaanites had the same or similar gods, and teh Phoenicians were thw predecessors of the Carthaginians. therefore, the Semitic Peoples is a composite of teh Phoenicans, Carthaginians, and Canaanites.

*7: the Mesopotamians is also a composite culture, with one Major God each for the Assyrians, Babylonians, and Sumerians. however, it may end up being just the Babylonians if there are too many complications.

Personally, I think focusing on 4 or 5 cultures would be best (Greeks, Norse, Egyptians, Meso-Americans, Hindus). Maybe throw the Far East in as a 6th culture in an "expansion." 14 or 15 seems excessive and impossible to balance (because essentially it would be 14 cultures x 3 major gods = 42 "factions").

the major reason i had planned out 15 cultures was for a more worldwide view on the game. i mean, with AOM, there was just the greeks, egyptians, norse, and the pseudo-mayan-roman-greek culture ensemble decided to call the atlanteans. the doesnt cover anything aside from the mediterranean, north africa, and northern europe. now, with power of the gods, it covers the entire mediterranean, peloponessus, all of the middle east, all of north africa, scandinavia, denmark, easternmost canada(viking settlements), russia, central europe, the british isles, the indian subcontinent, the japan islands, italy, asia minor, central america, AND china

but yes, i do realize its an enormous undertaking. perhaps the best choice would be to get mythological cultures for the existing 0ad civs first, with a few additions, and then add the rest in an expansion

• 1 month later...

@astralith: I like your biblical mod idea! Very interesting!

@Jugulator: A Gear of War RTS would be very interesting, indeed!

Some of the mods I would like to see:

The mandatory zombie mod!

Metal Slug: The RTS (Yup! You read that right)

Something themed around Africa

Something themed around Naval Warfare

Something with a unique fantasy theme

Something themed around animals instead of humans

Some of the mods I would like to see, but the engine may not support out of the box:

City building (Think Ceaser IV)

Spiritual successor to the Commandos series

Spiritual successor to Total Annihilation: Kingdoms

Something in the vein of the Tom Clancy universe (Rainbow Six, Splinter Cell)

I feel like a lot of RTSs are "cookie-cutter" games, going with what is popular and not experimenting enough. Don't get me wrong, I love history (that is what attracted me to 0 A.D.), but sometimes we need to try new things and not be afraid to fall flat on our face, myself included.

• 3 years later...