Multi-weapons for units?

Historicity

You won't have any problems differentiating different types of units. A Spartiate will look different than a standard Hoplite and vice versa.

I dont mean to be a history nazi- but, if I am not mistaken, were not all Spartan Hoplites from the Elite Spartiate class? I know there were the Perioikoi and Helots, but they were Light Infantry in wartime, not heavy Hoplites (with the exception of the Peloponnesian War when the Helots acted as Heavy Infantry).

You misunderstand me (I should have phrased that better :P).

This is what I meant- as I understand it, when playing the Spartan minor-civ, players will have access to the normal Hoplite unit(s) as well as the Spartiate Super Unit- but unless I am mistaken, all Hoplites in Sparta were Spartiates, and all Spartiates were professional soldiers (represented in 0ad as Super Units). The Perioikoi and Helots served in the Spartan army in times of war, but were Light Infantry, not Hoplites. My point is that to be historicaly correct (say hello to the history nazi :P), the Spartan civ can only have the Spartiate Super Unit, not the other Hoplite units (and that is of course unless I'm wrong).

I understand where you're coming from, but there has been a design change in the Hellenes civ that kind of alters the way you'd look at the Hellenes civ from a historical perspective. Besides, as you point out, Helots and Peroikoi performed as Hoplites during the Peloponnesian War, justifying keeping the "standard" hoplites for the "Spartan" player even though the player has decided to train a bunch of Spartiates.

• 3 weeks later...

Also for the sake of our poor programmers and artists. Super Units, in such a way as we're implementing them, didn't truly exist historically as "super-units". Sure, they were better equipped and trained when comparied to the levied soldiers of most other nations. Perhaps they also inspired the morale of their allies, and frightened their enemies.

But they couldn't have taken on several opponents at once, and not expected to run into serious trouble.

My point is that Spartiates simply represent a higher class of warrior, in this case taking the form of the bold soldiers of Sparta. Above their literal place in history, they are a gameplay mechanic manifested with an imperfect historical texture.