0 A.D. Friendly Tournament Series

Feldfeld

I announce that the tournament will start next week!

It will use a weekly schedule, and have a BO1 format. I did not decide yet if it will use seeded or random brackets as I did not gather enough opinions. Feel free to give your opinion if you registered!

Registrations are still open, and will be until Sunday 9 October 20:00 UTC, and I will announce the brackets before Sunday 22:00 UTC.
Once they are announced, you will know who is your opponent, and you will have 1 week to play your match. I strongly encourage you to use the forum private message feature to schedule your match. If you meet your opponent in lobby, you can of course play your match on the spot, but please do not count on it! This is not guaranteed to happen.

Even if you registered, it is not guarranteed you will get to play the tournament. It depends of if the number of players registered fit well. Here is how I intend to complete the brackets:

There will be a Gold Bracket that will contain up to 8 players.
If more than 8 players registered, then having a Silver Bracket is a likely possibility. If we have around 16 players registered, then there will be a 8-player Silver Bracket for sure. If we have 12 players registered overall, then I will message the 4 players that didn't make it to the Gold if they are interested in playing a 4-player mini bracket.

If you missed the registration deadline, do not forget that I intend to organize more tournaments like this if it goes well. So if there are no problem, then next tournament will be in around 1 month.

I registered the players that announced being available with the weekly schedule. If you can't play this edition of the tournament, please tell me and I'll unregister you.

Currently registered (10 players):
@Feldfeld@ValihrAnt @Philip the Swaggerless@Stockfish@thephilosopher@seeh@Dakara@kun0@Edwarf@BeTe

Waiting for confirmation:
@Emperiorplease tell me if this schedule is good for you.
Xpert told me in lobby his intent to participate. Please post in this thread to confirm.

Edited by Feldfeld
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 03/10/2022 at 10:52 PM, LetswaveaBook said:

I tried to host a tournament (to be precise: I tried to host the biggest tournament of 2021) and it failed. I wanted to give players the responsibility and the ability to find their own schedule.

However after a while, I was busy with work and didn't visit the lobbies enough to encourage players to play their rounds and the later rounds didn't get scheduled.

So either you need to have strict laws about who to boot if a match isn't played, or dividing players into a (small) league would a solution (or possible multiple leagues). If there are irresponsible players in a league, it is easy to kick them. Also in a classic tournament, you are supposed to meet one single opponent and it delays you if (s)he doesn't show up. In a league format you can move to the next round and play against the missing opponent later.

yes this could likely happen again, i warned about this.Altho 8 is a small number and i know most wouldnt abandon and such.

there needs to be public thread for scheduling, so everyone must make a reasonable effort(defined by aprameters) to arrange their game, and if they dont even comment, they can be auto kicked, 0 tolerance policy, otherwise delays, confusion, etc will overwhelm and slow the tournament.

i doubt anything will slow 8 player (small) tournament enough to prevent it from ending, but maybe itll be 2-3x longer than intended, worst case.

also weekly with bo1 rounds seems odd to me.

so itll last total 3 weeks? and so each player gets to play 1.5 game on average, or something like that, in 3 weeks, very slow, tiny action.

either way GL, hope it works out, focus on the arranging games being strict, clear, and publicly visible so no issues.

start and end of each week is declared in advance. inside those periods, players may give their availability for some number of days and times. each game must be played on its assigned week, otherwise victory is automatically given to the player who has given more availabilities. a player may ask for a rescheduling only once per week, and they must at the same time specify a date that has the avaibility of the other player. players may concede victory if they can't make the game, but they should make their best effort to play all games.

In case a match doesn't get played on time I will hear the arguments then take a decision based on that. Players can freely schedule their match using the forum private message.

BO1 for weekly schedule is a bit weird indeed but it was clearly the favored option based on votes so I went with that. It won't necessarily stay that way in next tournaments.

On 05/10/2022 at 5:23 PM, Feldfeld said:

That said, I can see how the already registered contestants can somewhat be scary, on top of that the seeded format would mean the lowest seeded participant is guarranteed to be against Valihrant, etc.

You could also implement the swiss system. The top half is paired with the bottom half.

19 hours ago, rm -rf said:

You could also implement the swiss system. The top half is paired with the bottom half.

It's an idea, but I wanted the tournament to run quickly. With this amount of players, and 3 rounds, losing one match means not winning the tournament, much like with bracket system but with perhaps a smaller appeal. But it's true it means more matches for players, and more balanced the longer into the tournament

I'll keep it in my backlog.

We need at least 2 more players to make at least a silver mini-bracket!

The tournament has started! Here is the list of players:

@ValihrAnt(2322)
@Feldfeld (2169)
@Edwarf (1861)
@Stockfish (1833)
@Dakara (1772)
@Philip the Swaggerless (1646)
@kun0 (1547)
@thephilosopher (1305)

Unfortunately, due to having 10 players registered, two players couldn't make it to the 8-player brackets. I am sorry for not having everyone participate, and I give special thanks for these players who by registering made this tournament more likely to happen:

@seeh
@BeTe

The bracket is seeded, and is available on challonge, you can find it here: https://challonge.com/l9vi81d9
The seedings have been done using 0 A.D. elo, which is convenient and looks quite close to reality.

This gives us the matchups for the first round!

ValihrAnt (2322) vs thephilosopher (1305)
Stockfish (1833) vs Dakara (1772)
Feldfeld (2169) vs kun0 (1547)
Edwarf (1861) vs PhiliptheSwaggerless (1646)

The deadline for the first round is Sunday 16, 23:59 UTC

Please try to organize your match as soon as possible using forum private messaging! Beware of timezone differences.

Once the match is over, please announce the result in this thread (possibly hiding it in spoiler) and provide the replay.

Please message me personally if your opponent doesn't answer you after 2-3 days.

You will find the precise game settings in the first post of the thread. Verify them before readying up in the lobby.

Edited by Feldfeld
  • Like 5

My best guess of winner:

ValihrAnt (2322) vs thephilosopher (1305) -> ValihrAnt
Stockfish (1833) vs Dakara (1772) -> Francais
Feldfeld (2169) vs kun0 (1547) -> novax
Edwarf (1861) vs PhiliptheSwaggerless (1646) -> Nastasen

If you need still one player I could join with any publicly shared account :banana:

Edited by G.O.A.T
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, G.O.A.T said:

My best guess of winner:

If you need still one player I could join with any publicly shared account :banana:

whats wrong with having a preferred username? I was once a literal DNA sequence, now I'm happy to be @real_tabasco_sauce

7 hours ago, G.O.A.T said:

My best guess of winner:

I see that smurfs live rent free in your head

I'd like to see the prediction come true though - this means that matches get played