r26675 Make the olive tree a source of wood, as it is hard to see that it is a food supply

LetswaveaBook

So in all genius it was decided that the olive tree should be a source of food. However on several maps (like mainland with anatolian/aegean biome) the tree is placed. Originally the tree might be placed there because it was a source of food. For gameplay purposes, I think a food tree should be placed where olive trees have been placed.

list of changes for A26

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Alpha26

• Like 2

That would be me who had the `genius` idea to do that, so all complaints can be directed to me.

32 minutes ago, LetswaveaBook said:

Originally the tree might be placed there because it was a source of food.

So just some explanation: @wowgetoffyourcellphone revamped the biomes for A25, see this thread:

Before that (so in a23/ a24 and prior) the meditarenean biome did in fact not have the olive tree at all. See:

https://github.com/0ad/0ad/commit/73ccac3aba3a07e17b02bb3fd522008d56abf6b1#diff-304046c1440c554963d518154c3f99f2184ebdbc4fc97a8cc08480347f2e9db6

And as you can see on the diff the intention when introducing the olive tree in the new aegean biome was not to introduce more food.

See: https://code.wildfiregames.com/D4561#194526

But we can ofc have a discussion about having more food in this biome when everybody thinks that would be preferable.

27 minutes ago, LetswaveaBook said:

So in all genius it was decided that the olive tree should be a source of food

You surely meant "wood" instead of "food"? :D

Too bad you didn't bring it up during the long release candidate testing?

Like, it seems no one tested the Atlas during that phase, and now all textures are just a single color in the interface. (I'm a culprit too)

1 hour ago, LetswaveaBook said:

So in all genius it was decided that the olive tree should be a source of food. However on several maps (like mainland with anatolian/aegean biome) the tree is placed. Originally the tree might be placed there because it was a source of food. For gameplay purposes, I think a food tree should be placed where olive trees have been placed.

Easy, just replace the actor of the olive tree with an apple tree. This is my modified olive tree:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<actor version="1">
  <castshadow/>

<group>
    <variant frequency="1" name="olive_1">
      <mesh>gaia/tree_apple_trunk_a.dae</mesh>
      <props>
        <prop actor="flora/trees/apple_top_a.xml" attachpoint="root"/>
      </props>
    </variant>
  </group>

<material>basic_trans.xml</material>
</actor>

This changes the olive tree actor to an apple tree. 

• Like 1