Alpha 26 Feedback

chrstgtr

55 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Sure where ?

It should be also in the download section of main site. Many players doesn't visit the forum.

image.thumb.png.fd3734fe61d01ba8a490b63bb8a54c8a.png

55 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Ā I also plan to post a message on the lobby advertising it when you open the lobby. Thoughts about wording?

"There's a major fix updateĀ for Han civilization included in the community-mod available on the 0.A.D's main page and also on the forum. Don't miss it! You won't be able to play games with this mod enabled. If u find games are greyed out probably you need to install it."
Something like this? (sorry if there's some errors, i'm translating)

Edited by guerringuerrin
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, guerringuerrin said:

"There's a major fix updateĀ for Han civilization included in the community-mod

You could say: "community mod, among other minor changes."

the message could just be edited for each successive update to the community mod.

If it is also mentioned in the download screen, then you could link the full patch notes compared to a26 there.

Ā 

I like where this is going, it could basically be an optional live service mod.

Edited by real_tabasco_sauce
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alre said:

on windows, a mod is as easy to install as a patch, using the pyromod file. maybe the pyromod version of the community mod could be linked in the main site and dubbed "balance patch" or something like that.

it would be wise to also have brief instructions on how to find this in game, something like:

"the mod can also be accessed via the in-game mod downloader:

settings -> mod selection -> Download mods."

Re writing on the fly

"There's aĀ 
major fix updateĀ for Han civilization included in the Official Community Mod, among other minor changes, available on the 0.A.D's main page and also on the forum. Can also be accesed via the in-game mod downloader: Go to settings -> mod selection -> Download mods -> And double click on community-mod version 0.26.1. Save and restart and you are done! (You always can disable the mod later).
Don't miss it! You won't be able to play games with this mod enabled. If u find games are greyed out probably you need to install it."

Edited by guerringuerrin

40 minutes ago, guerringuerrin said:

It should be also in the download section of main site. Many players doesn't visit the forum.

image.thumb.png.fd3734fe61d01ba8a490b63bb8a54c8a.png

"There's a major fix updateĀ for Han civilization included in the community-mod available on the 0.A.D's main page and also on the forum. Don't miss it! You won't be able to play games with this mod enabled. If u find games are greyed out probably you need to install it."
Something like this? (sorry if there's some errors, i'm translating)

Not bad.

Here I have an idea how to handle supercell (company studio developer) the clash royale.

https://clashroyale.com/es/blog/news/balance-changes-october-2022.html

"October Changes"

That's why I tell you that we can manage this simple.

Ā With help of emojis in the first line give a short summary of what was changed.

Screenshot_20221004-124730.png.e63a1326d67ce28b64e74d262962b289.png

ThenĀ  Below is given in a simple way with plain language, the change.

Screenshot_20221004-125010.png.2ada5d2d1b52c4ab63ebd36d1217e72c.png

The first sentence is a hook This in marketing is known as an attractive phrase to stimulate the public.

In our case we can say: the overmelming Iberian fire cavalryĀ  is put it in their own place.(something that symbolizes that it was nerfed)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

it would be wise to also have brief instructions on how to find this in game, something like:

"the mod can also be accessed via the in-game mod downloader:

settings -> mod selection -> Download mods."

Using the word "official" is more stimulating.

Official balance patch for example.

• Like 1

I like the direction of development. But I'm still testing your bot and I'm ready to share new information:
1. Gauls don't make swordsmen
2. Brits don't make horsemen with swords and dogs.
3. Women often hide later than they would like, but already better than before.
4. When attacking the city center, the battering ram, standing nearby, tries to hide in it (moves towards it)
5. The Kush, Persians, and Mauryas make the "archery traditions" one of the first improvements. I'm not sure that this improvement is so necessary that it would be done immediately after the first two women. It seems to me that this has a bad effect on the economy.
6. Kush still makes a lot of mercenaries, depending on the situation, but elites (except elephants) practically does not.
7. Carthage is not worth mercenaries at all, uses only spearmen, archers and sometimes horsemen-throwers. This is a huge problem for this faction.
8. The bot is still laying trade routes very close to enemies, sometimes through enemy territory (after capturing foreign markets) or near fortress towers.
9. The bot does not improve the towers. I don't know how necessary it is at all, but you never know.

Now one more general remark, it is extremely inconvenient for me to distinguish units by icons. If the infantry is more or less different in appearance, then the cavalry is a huge problem. especially the Persians with their 7 types of horsemen. It may be worth doing something about it, it will be very difficult for beginners (and not only) to figure out during the battle what exactly needs to be ordered.
Changing the proportions of the interface does not help. At 125%, it groans very large, the center of the screen gets out too far, limiting the view. The icons are all arvno not very well understood. It would be desirable not to increase it more, but rather to increase the length to the left and right, and the size of the icons too.
Perhaps it is worth adding the ability to display the designation of at least his weapon when hovering over the icon? Or make the weapons on the icons more visible. For example, Han horse archers have weapons clearly visible, but swordsmen and spearmen do not.

• Like 1

An alternative text including this last suggestions from @Lion.Kanzen
"There's aĀ 
major fix updateĀ for Han civilization included in theĀ Official Community Mod, among other minor changes.
You can install it through in-game mod downloader: Go to settings -> Mod Selection -> Download Mods -> And double click on community-mod version 0.26.1. Save, restart and you are done!
You can alsoĀ find it at 0.A.D's main page and on the forum.Ā 
Remember this patch is the changes for next Alpha and it was made by the community and developers for you.

Don't miss it!
You won't be able to play games with this mod enabled.Ā If u find games are greyed out probably you need to install it."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.ageofempires.com/news/aoe2de-update-47820/

Other example.

Screenshot_20221005-023839.png.31a4bd59ede7f88b09486f2ebdd95057.png

use of bold (makes it easier to read between the lines... I mean read faster) and use of colors (green) to represent theĀ  increase of stats.

Ā 

https://www.ageofempires.com/news/age-of-empires-iv-winter2021-update/

AoE IV is not as good as the previous one and is not consistent.

• Like 4

Maybe the word "mod" makes some people thinks this is just one guy ambition trying to make players get his mod and doesn't realize this is a way to introduce features and bug fixes more faster and easier.Ā 

Updating lobby's welcome message could be a good way to people don't suspect.

Also, some Aslan's friend could explain him this so he can help with the mass implementation since he is a good and regular host.

I was chatting all day and can confirm many people doesn't know this (doesn't even have a forum account)Ā and doesn't even know about Han's bug.

I would suggest the welcome message being written in italian and spanish too.

Ā 

22-10-5_lobbyaslan.png

Edited by guerringuerrin
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Frederick_1I see that you have been saving and reloading matches, which causes replay files to be split up.

0 A. D. is not currently designed to correctly store replays that are generated when the game is restored from a save file.

You're trying to manually reassemble replay files generated this way and then view such replays. This is an experimental project that depends on understanding how replay files are formatted, how the game state is controlled by replay files, and how to join replay files together such that the replays will work seamlessly.

It's a neat idea, I want to encourage you to continue working on it, but please don't report crashes, during experimental projects, as bugs in 0 A.D.

If you have a bug to report that is separate from the experimental project, and you've identified steps to reproduce the bug symptoms that are surely starting from a clean slate (ie. no leftover reassembled replay files) then please report it properly in the 0 A.D. bug tracking system. First look for an existing bug report that matches the symptoms you are observing. If you don't find one then click Register at the top in order to create a new login on Trac. Then create a new ticket and fill out this form.

Summary:Ā 

Expected results:Ā 

Actual results:

Steps to reproduce:Ā 

Computing Environnment (OS brand and version, hardware, relevant driver version and other software versions):Ā 

Relevant logs, files that reproduce the symptoms, screenshots, etc.:

Ā 

Edited by Norse_Harold

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/10/2022 at 10:46 AM, Lion.Kanzen said:

Other example.

Screenshot_20221005-023839.png.31a4bd59ede7f88b09486f2ebdd95057.png

use of bold (makes it easier to read between the lines... I mean read faster) and use of colors (green) to represent theĀ  increase of stats.

Ā 

https://www.ageofempires.com/news/age-of-empires-iv-winter2021-update/

AoE IV is not as good as the previous one and is not consistent.

Is this (bold font and colour) we could implement swiftly?

Edited by Ceres
  • Like 1

I meant to bold and colourize text in 0ad similarly to what you had on that picture. That's possible, right? And I assume that we can code descriptive text to show up in bold font like "provide +10% build speed". BTW, should the information be Prosa text or rather short/reduced to the parameter and its change?

Just now, Ceres said:

I meant to bold and colourize text in 0ad similarly to what you had on that picture. That's possible, right? And I assume that we can code descriptive text to show up in bold font like "provide +10% build speed". BTW, should the information be Prosa text or rather short/reduced to the parameter and its change?

I took that image from one of their "balance change" blogs.

It seems that they have changed everything, I can't find the page.

With Prosa you mean this form:

Prosa is the most natural form of expression of language and is characterized by its continuity: prosa writing is not fragmented but continues throughout the line, and ideas are articulated in a consecutive and coherent manner.

1 hour ago, Ceres said:

I mean by Prosa full sentences like "xyz increases ABC by x%" vs. a condensed information like "+x% ABC" or something similar that shows the important info on first glance. If bolding and colourizing helps, fine.

I found the required page.

It's at the bottom of the page .

Ā 

Ā 

You mean under "Civilization Balance", right? There is information about changes: Green for increase and red for decrease, though for people with red-green dichromacy, this might cause problems. On the other hand, there are further forms of deuteranomalies/ deuteranopies that involve other colours. Does the developer team of 0 A.D. have any guidance about this, or could we just use green/red? Maybe in connection with (coloured) up/down arrows?