Alpha 26 Feedback

chrstgtr

Creating a post so we can get a26 feedback.

Running list of issue:

1. The minimap is really busy now. I used to be able to easily discern what was occurring on the other side of the map, but now I have no clue because the map feels so busy. For anyone else who felt this way--it can be undone in Options-->Game Session-->Minimap Icons-->unchecked
  2. Han buildings all look really similar. Maybe this improves as we get more used to playing Han, but right now everything looks the same
  3. Han farm upgrades do not work for p1 and p3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thought about a thread like this as well to collect stuff.

13 minutes ago, chrstgtr said:

The minimap is really busy now. I used to be able to easily discern what was occurring on the other side of the map, but now I have no clue because the map feels so busy. 

Don't know if it's more busy now, but while I liked the new symbols I felt distracted by them, or they hid stuff; thought about playing with their size or opacity, but once I turned them off I stuck with that.

17 minutes ago, chrstgtr said:

Han buildings all look really similar. Maybe this improves as we get more used to playing Han, but right now everything looks the same

I had that feeling with several civs, but since where I place my buildings is a deliberate decision and I remember it, it feels ok; Han didn't feel noticeably worse in that regard.

5 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

Don't know if it's more busy now, but while I liked the new symbols I felt distracted by them, or they hid stuff; thought about playing with their size or opacity, but once I turned them off I stuck with that.

To each their own. But see OP. The new mini-icons can be turned off. 

5 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

I had that feeling with several civs, but since where I place my buildings is a deliberate decision and I remember it, it feels ok; Han didn't feel noticeably worse in that regard.

For me, it's mostly a problem with houses, storehouses, and farmhouses. I often place houses close to my wood line and it is easy to forget where each is. Farmhouses are often placed wherever berries are, which is easy to forget after the berries are exhausted. It is good to know where you don't have to build a new farmhouse. Farmhouses are easily recognized from one angle, but not from all angles. 

Regardless, I feel like good art design requires differentiation (while staying within a theme ofc). Even if I do get used to it, I think it would be good to make it easier for newbies. 

Edited by chrstgtr

4 minutes ago, chrstgtr said:

Regardless, I feel like good art design requires differentiation (while staying within a theme ofc). Even if I do get used to it, I think it would be good to make it easier for newbies

If they will play with the Mayan mod and the Lusitan you would know how difficult it is to vary the buildings.

I told Duileoga to differentiate and he must follow the patterns of the game.

For Han, I don't see it as difficult as those mentioned above.

Maybe it needs more props.

6 hours ago, chrstgtr said:

The minimap is really busy now. I used to be able to easily discern what was occurring on the other side of the map, but now I have no clue because the map feels so busy. For anyone else who felt this way--it can be undone in Options-->Game Session-->Minimap Icons-->unchecked

There are another two parameters that didn't fit into the main options (you need to set them in user.cfg) but might help you to not disable icons at all:

gui.session.minimap.icons.opacity - how transparent icons are (0.0 - 1.0, default: 1.0).

gui.session.minimap.icons.sizescale - multiplies the icon size by that value (should be greater than zero, default: 1.0).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Nice, thank all devs for all the effort to launch the new alpha! There is a little mistake on the main page where the new alpha is described (sorry didnt know where to report it)

"What’s next?

This release cycle was one year long, and it was a bumpy ride.
As usual, for the next alpha, we welcome fan suggestions for words relating to the ancient world beginning with the letter A. Keep it original and related to the time frame portrayed in 0 A.D. (c. 500 BC – 1 BC).
"

I think it should be 500 BC to 500 AD. :)

And maybe you can add the revision number of a26 for the people who need to use svn to play the new alpha, till snap works here or there:

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Alpha26

or

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Changelogs

I think its 27102. :D

Edited by Nobbi

2 minutes ago, Nobbi said:

No that's correct. Only DE covers that.

3 minutes ago, Nobbi said:

And maybe you can add the revision number of a26 for the people who need to use svn to play the new alpha, till snap works here or there:

5 hours ago, vladislavbelov said:

gui.session.minimap.icons.opacity - how transparent icons are (0.0 - 1.0, default: 1.0).

gui.session.minimap.icons.sizescale - multiplies the icon size by that value (should be greater than zero, default: 1.0).

Very nice, I do like the icons, but i think smaller is better, and perhaps a particular opacity will be ideal.

12 minutes ago, AIEND said:

What is the difference between the farmland of the Han Dynasty and the farmland of other countries except that it can only accommodate three people?

cheaper, so the net difference is only how many you can put in one place.

Edited by real_tabasco_sauce

2 hours ago, Nobbi said:

As usual, for the next alpha, we welcome fan suggestions for words relating to the ancient world beginning with the letter A. Keep it original and related to the time frame portrayed in 0 A.D. (c. 500 BC – 1 BC)."

Rather than going back to letter A, suggesting that the name for the next alpha should reflect the features being added/changed? Like this present one, of course.

True, the Briton heroes being the ones that flourished after 1 BC is an example. Those three should be put as Atlas-only entities, replaced with those consistent with the timeframe.

So far I am seeing worryingly good performance from the Han CS crossbow. The main point of concern is that with upgrade parity the crossbow will kill a ranged inf cs unit in 2 shots, which is 4.5 seconds. That is faster than the skirmisher. 

For comparison we can use the mace crossbow champion. In order for it to kill a ranged cs unit in 1 shot it needs a 2 upgrade advantage (you need 2 of: will to fight, champ hero, or the enemy lacking final pierce armor upgrade). This means that in most games the champion crossbow takes the same number of shots to kill a ranged unit (2) as the cs version. 

The strength of the cs crossbow is when it is targeting ranged units, and it relies on upgrade parity. An additional armor bonus from a hero or unique tech would put crossbows into the 3 shot kill range, which would help a lot in battles where both parties are using ranged units to hit ranged units. The crossbow is not as good against melee units due to the combination of lowest speed of ranged inf, lower dps than slingers, and same range as slingers. Javelin cav are also fantastic against them because it takes more hits to kill them and the lower dps of the crossbow is reflected in battle.

I predict the unit going in 2 routes balance wise:

1.  it teaches people ways to try to counter sniping which we know exist
  2.  those counter-sniping methods, and armor hero bonuses are not enough and the unit is OP enough to be banned (this would be sad)

"Formations can now be selected as a whole with one click, making them more of a “battalion” than before. Note that this behavior can be adjusted in the options. Use (civ-specific) standards."

I have a problem with this feature, i use ctrl+a number to manage my groups of soldiers, and when needed I like to pick 1/2/3 or 4 soldiers from a group to building something or to repare a captured building. Now each time that I want to pick 1 soldier the whole group is selected, how can I change that? There is nothing in the option.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sennacherib said:

"Formations can now be selected as a whole with one click, making them more of a “battalion” than before. Note that this behavior can be adjusted in the options. Use (civ-specific) standards."

I have a problem with this feature, i use ctrl+a number to manage my groups of soldiers, and when needed I like to pick 1/2/3 or 4 soldiers from a group to building something or to repare a captured building. Now each time that I want to pick 1 soldier the whole group is selected, how can I change that? There is nothing in the option.

Use no formation this cancels formation.

9 minutes ago, Sennacherib said:

So this feature is useless after all, if each time, I must disable the current formation, just to be able to pick 1 soldier. + each time that a group of soldier is selected just to do something, a "bataillon" is created (with a flag), it is a little bit boring and again useless. it is easier to create a specific group with ctrl + a number.

in theory the feature is not completed.

It needs a lot of development to make it work.

• Stan` changed the title to Alpha 26 Feedback