Frauenparkplatz

If you ever tried to park a car in a German parking lot, especially those indoors garages (Parkhaus), you will see the slots near the entrance are often nearly empty with a big symbol of an obese woman on the ground. This means the spot is reserved for females only, everyone else have to go upstairs or further inside the labyrinth.

The reason why I bring this topic to 0ad is because its sexism arguments is similar to what 0ad got for its citizen soldier concept. Personally, I think the Frauenparkplatz idea is utterly stupid: it creates more gender inequality and doesn't solve any real practical problems.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sevda said:

Personally, I think the Frauenparkplatz idea is utterly stupid: it creates more gender inequality and doesn't solve any real practical problems.

It solves the problem of women being assaulted in the depths of those garages, at least they don't have to feel afraid there.

Do you have any sources for them always being empty? Or for the signs to show obese women?

Spoiler

Frauenparkplatz.jpeg.1e72b2c28c49aa622e7f94d7d55e8fdf.jpeg

• Like 1

In addition to my arguments, those excess Frauenparkplatz can be used as female toilets instead. Germany has a much bigger shortage for women's toilets than parking slots, as not all women drive but all of them do need toilets. 

When I was at the Lohr Zentrum of Koblenz, there were quite a few vacant Frauenparkplatz. On the other hand, there was a mega queue at the toilets. One woman even rushed into the men's toilet because she couldn't hold  it back anymore. A few others joined her afterwards. If Koblenz converted the excess parkplatz to extra women's toilets, the women will be much much happier. Toilets also use less space and cost compared to parkplatz.

1 hour ago, Gurken Khan said:

Do you have any sources for them always being empty

Every single parkplatz I went to have vacant Frauenparkplatz, even though sometimes the normal spots are filled. I've been to many cities in western Germany, from Köln to Koblenz, from Aachen to Saarland, Landau, Mannheim, Trier, Freiburg...

But not eastern Germany 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

Come to usa.... many bathroom and infinite parking space!

Yes and there is no Frauenparkplatz there neither... But the problem is I can't go there, it's too far away and there is a huge ocean between us.

The USA has enough space for everything, Germany is too small and overcrowded, they also spam too many cars. My recommendation is to destroy the Altstadt of each city and rebuild.

Furthermore, Trier can ban Luxembourg vehicles from entering its Einkaufzentrum to reduce congestion.

3 hours ago, Sevda said:

@Gurken Khan it was just Heidelberg 's Kraus Parkhaus that had very bad drawings, other ones and either text or better sketches. However, the image you provided isn't much better because its stereotyping women to be shopping and carrying children.

I would argue that the stereotype is just in your head, since there are no children in that image, also, chances are the sign and the parking where next to a supermarket or a mall, hence the shopping cart.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, alre said:

would argue that the stereotype is just in your head, since there are no children in that image

Excuse me, I mistakened the contents of the trolly to be a kid, but again it doesn't help against stereotyping...

But it still doesn't solve inequality, because you are making things more unequal in separating women from the rest of the population.

It's better to fix whatever problems women have from the source than squeezing these Frauenparkplatz into the already overcrowded space. Maybe consider how to solve the gender pay gap, crime rate and put more women in your Rathaus instead. 

@Gurken Khan I can't see what you quoted back there because maroder deleted it, but my point was, if you want to reduce inequality or discrimination, you don't emphasise people's differences, but instead, you should bring them into the society and consider them to be the same group as you. In this case, it's better to consider a person a human instead of a Herren or a Damen.

27 minutes ago, Sevda said:

@Gurken Khan I can't see what you quoted back there because maroder deleted it, but my point was, if you want to reduce inequality or discrimination, you don't emphasise people's differences, but instead, you should bring them into the society and consider them to be the same group as you. In this case, it's better to consider a person a human instead of a Herren or a Damen.

@maroder gave the explanation for his intervention which was relativizing Nazi crimes; you had only one sentence rambling about that, that was what I quoted back at you.

And while in theory it would be fantastic if we all would treat each other as equals, regardless for example if male or female, the bleak reality is that it's much more probable that a man forces himself on a woman then the other way round, and that is especially true for public, but dark and labyrinthine places like Parkhäuser.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gurken Khan said:

man forces himself on a woman then the other way roun

Please explain what you mean by this. Maybe it's just me but I have been beaten up by girls more often than boys...

Everywhere in the parkhaus is creepy in my opinion, especially the Aufzug. On a day with many people, everywhere you go there are cars and people, on a chill day, there are seldom any vehicle no matter where you go. 

If you want to harm a woman, you are more likely to find them on the streets or inside Einkaufzentrum than Parkhaus. If you want to steal or vandalise their stuff, well, the Frauenparkplatz tells you exactly where to look for victims.

Funny fact: the Frauenparkplatz in Trier Zentrum Parkhaus is located in the corners of each level.

28 minutes ago, m7600 said:

Maybe it's just my imagination, but I get the feeling that you want to talk about stuff from Germany.

Everything else in Germany is perfect, OP. Can't find any faults or very strange things. The only 2 interesting things they do differently to other countries is the parkplatz and unlimited speed highway.

But I remember from long time ago someone made a topic on the forum about citizen soldier being sexist, and I was instantly reminded of that when I went to Germany. Plus, we have many German players here...

Maybe we can find a solution to the claim that 0ad is a sexist game using the inspiration of parkplatz.

4 hours ago, Sevda said:

if you want to reduce inequality or discrimination, you don't emphasise people's differences, but instead, you should bring them into the society and consider them to be the same group as you. In this case, it's better to consider a person a human instead of a Herren or a Damen.

1 hour ago, Sevda said:

A Storehouse that costs very little wood but only allows women to deposit stuff there.

So you want to treat women and men the same except when you don't.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, sarcoma said:

men pee sitting down :suicide2:

Not true for all Germans for sure, I looked inside the men's toilet and they have standing urinals.

I pee sitting down even though I am not German.

8 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

you want to treat women and men the same except when you don't.

In real life we treat women and men equally, but 0ad women and 0ad men are not humans; they are merely 30 lines of XML code. In many mods, depictions of humans Dont even exist; units are ponies or some alien bug