Alpha 26 is near!

Stan`

11 hours ago, vladislavbelov said:
18 hours ago, Norse_Harold said:

What's the status on this bug?

There is a new borderless.fullscreen option in A26, you could try to set it to false. If it doesn't help then highly likely it's not the game issue (maybe SDL).

I tried setting borderless.fullscreen to false, but it did not solve the problem. I then tested A25b on the same system. It turns out that the problem occurs in that version of 0ad on that system, as well. That system had SDL version 2.0.22 plus distribution modifications. It has been updated to SDL version 2.24. The problem does not seem to occur anymore. Can these be added to the FAQ, please?

On another system where the problem did not occur, the version of SDL was version 2.0.14.

1 hour ago, vladislavbelov said:
3 hours ago, Norse_Harold said:

Can these be added to the FAQ, please?

Which FAQ do you mean?

The FAQ that's here, linked from the front page of the wiki.

It would help the wiki updater(s) if we had a link to more details about why SDL is at fault and which version(s) are affected.

For the wiki updater(s), the problem description can be something along the lines of, "mouse cursor jumps to a different monitor when scrolling the camera or map".

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Norse_Harold said:

Yep, it might be added there.

8 hours ago, Norse_Harold said:

It would help the wiki updater(s) if we had a link to more details about why SDL is at fault and which version(s) are affected.

For the wiki updater(s), the problem description can be something along the lines of, "mouse cursor jumps to a different monitor when scrolling the camera or map".

Thanks for the help!

15 hours ago, Norse_Harold said:

Just in case it needs to be said: Anyone with a Trac account is free (and encouraged) to update the wiki :) 

I see people asking for immediate release of a26 in the lobby. I don't recommend this.

I have noticed that professional game developers avoid releasing updates near the weekend. This is wise because it gives time to release a subsequent hotfix in case game-breaking bugs are discovered post-release, something that has happened to even the best developers. It also gives time for server administrators and mod developers to update their areas of responsibility. And, we need to give Linux distribution maintainers time to update their packages of the game.

The weekends are the peak gaming times. They are when the lobby has twice as many or more players compared to a weekday. Please don't release just before or during a weekend.

However, making a new release candidate this evening would be fine, I think.

Edited by Norse_Harold

9 minutes ago, Norse_Harold said:

I have noticed that professional game developers avoid releasing updates near the weekend. This is wise because it gives time to release a subsequent hotfix in case game-breaking bugs are discovered post-release, something that has happened to even the best developers. It also gives time for server administrators and mod developers to update their areas of responsibility.

That also happens because those developers are paid, it means they don't work at that time. We're volunteers. And usually we have more free time during a weekend. So the point isn't so useful for us.

11 minutes ago, Norse_Harold said:

And, we need to give Linux distribution maintainers time to update their packages of the game.

That process might last for a week for some distros.

• Like 1