Unit specific upgrades

real_tabasco_sauce

6 hours ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

@alre any ideas for cavalry skirmisher? I could do something like the above, but I was thinking you might have other ideas.

veterinarians: slow hp regeneration. (probably makes more sense for all cav though, couldn't think about something more specific)

6 hours ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

Would adding this to the community mod interest anyone? I am thinking that after some play-testing using the mod, we would have a good idea of how favorable these upgrades are for gameplay, and then I would know if I need to make 26 icons or not.

I'm still convinced we should wait a good amount of time before introducing big changes to the community mod. on last alpha carth cav rush only came out a couple of months after the release.

• Like 1

progress update on icons:

Some "new" icons I edited XD. Handguard (swordsman), raiding cavalry (cavalry axeman), heavy shot (slinger), buttspike (pikeman) from left to right.

sword_handguard.png.2e2bf00687368c5363f9f2f47d127ee0.pngraiding_cavalry.png.8c0d248634335bbaa6ce5a8e0a1d0084.pngheavy_shot.png.841f83222e0423245c41d3cd6847b617.pngbuttspike.png.76c19ad97ec83341f7b78db2c7b091af.png

all that remains to be made are: longer pikes, balanced javelins, scouting tactics (archer cavalry 1), cavalry heavy draw (archer cavalry 2), and husbandry (cavalry swordsman 1).

if you are curious about the buttspike, this is the inspiration:

1912871348_Affixedtothe.png.92b7cf5e8d1e0bc8fa6706873d35e417.png

Edited by real_tabasco_sauce
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

there was already an icon for this

really?

here is husbandry for horses.

husbandry_horses.png

Now just longer pikes, scouting tactics, and cavalry heavy draw remain.

For longer pikes I have no idea, maybe a good starting point is a screenshot of a pikeman attacking? Then maybe make silhouette.

5 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Tabasco ( can I call you that?)
why don't we design and expand the whole tree of generic technologies (meaning those that belong to a broad group of civilisations)?

these are actually designed for the set of upgrades I already devised. Each civ gets about 4 to 8 of these depending on their unit availability and balance reasons.

the first one is "handguard" which is for swordsmen, the last is "balanced javelins" notice that the arm is in (sort of) a throwing position, and that there is a grip on the balance point.

6 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

these are actually designed for the set of upgrades I already devised. Each civ gets about 4 to 8 of these depending on their unit availability and balance reasons.

the first one is "handguard" which is for swordsmen, the last is "balanced javelins" notice that the arm is in (sort of) a throwing position, and that there is a grip on the balance point.

I therefore propose to take advantage of this and make a bigger project to expand the technologies of the game.

not in this post in the long term.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

I therefore propose to take advantage of this and make a bigger project to expand the technologies of the game.

not in this post in the long term.

Thats literally what I am doing. This is a system of unit specific upgrades, researched in barracks/stable. They will also replace the current cavalry HP and cavalry speed upgrades (which were basically just blanket buffs to cavalry).

There are about 20 technologies in the branch, only 3 more need icons.

9 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

Thats literally what I am doing. This is a system of unit specific upgrades, researched in barracks/stable. They will also replace the current cavalry HP and cavalry speed upgrades (which were basically just blanket buffs to cavalry).

There are about 20 technologies in the branch, only 3 more need icons.

I want beyond the military I need help from you from someone competent in gameplay and patch implementation.

I see what you mean @Lion.Kanzen. @borg- is busy now, so I think one thing could be to continue some of the civ differentiation efforts. These will definitely involve some unique civ technologies.

I just did cavalry heavy draw, which is very similar to heavy_draw for archers.

image.png.398d6c6418c710cd08ce4708780e99da.png

The two hardest remain: scouting tactics and longer pikes.

10 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

I see what you mean @Lion.Kanzen. @borg- is busy now, so I think one thing could be to continue some of the civ differentiation efforts. These will definitely involve some unique civ technologies.

I just did cavalry heavy draw, which is very similar to heavy_draw for archers.

image.png.398d6c6418c710cd08ce4708780e99da.png

The two hardest remain: scouting tactics and longer pikes.

I'm not sure, but they consider me least or last.

• Like 1

I honestly think there can be a standardized "unique technology" scheme. 

Something like:

Forge:  2 techs

Fortress: 2 techs

Civic Center: 2 techs

All other structures: up to 1 tech if justified. 

I would also like to see Champions moved back to the Fortress and all Heroes sent to the Civic Center (with a couple exceptions, like the Persians, Athenians, and Spartans).

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I honestly think there can be a standardized "unique technology" scheme. 

Something like:

Forge:  2 techs

Fortress: 2 techs

Civic Center: 2 techs

well the nice thing is since they are (literally) unique techs, they do not necessarily have to be perfectly structured, as the upgrades I have been working on are.

For instance, for the unit-specific techs, I am missing a level 2 for cavalry skirmisher, crossbow, and archer. I feel kind of obligated to make everything level 1 and 2, but at the same time I don't have ideas for these upgrades. Maybe for archers we could just migrate the archer accuracy from the forge?

Also, @wowgetoffyourcellphone is there a generic "background.png" that I can use for "longer pikes"