myspace.com

One more trend I've never bought into. So many people wanna come off as emo, sluts, or both. You'd think a journal would be where you can express some of your individuality, but very few of those actually do. Instead, I get the feeling that most express lack of individuality. It's a shame.

I think it is just plain wrong! I mean what's the point? Like those thing that say "Find true love NOW!" but they put a bad picture of a girl. I think it's more like falling in love with there body NOT them. If that made any sense at all.

I think it is just plain wrong! I mean what's the point? Like those thing that say "Find true love NOW!" but they put a bad picture of a girl. I think it's more like falling in love with there body NOT them. If that made any sense at all. I know someone who is a model and there's such a push to do bad modeling. It's really sad.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree totally with Uppy. I don't know why she has the same paragraph twice, but it's true. People who want to fit in appeal to each other's sex drive and people who don't want to fit in just conform to a different group. So stupid.

Anyway, I have one and spend entirely too much time on it :)

http://www.myspace.com/tumbleweed_ngt

Like Desmond said, feel free to add me.

I think it is just plain wrong! I mean what's the point? Like those thing that say "Find true love NOW!" but they put a bad picture of a girl. I think it's more like falling in love with there body NOT them. If that made any sense at all.

Yeah, it did make sense, and I totally agree with you here. I think culture is hyper-obsessed with looks or appearance, instead of what really matters - the heart. I'd rather have nice, friendly people for friends than some racy model. :)

Back on the subject of myspace.com, I've seen a lot of stuff about MySpace security issues recently - apparently, some clever people have been able to hack the site to add millions of friends, or something similar. ;) Not very secure code, perhaps?

This?

8:35 am: You have 74 friends and 221 friend requests.

Woah. I did not expect this much. I'm surprised it even worked.. 200 people have been infected in 8 hours. That means I'll have 600 new friends added every day. Woah.

9:30 am: You have 74 friends and 480 friend requests.

Oh wait, it's exponential, isn't it. [...]

6:20 pm: I timidly go to my profile to view the friend requests. 2,503 friends. 917,084 friend requests.

That page links to a technical explanation of how it was written, avoiding all of MySpace's blocks on HTML and JS code - I think it demonstrates that blacklists of dangerous strings can never work, since you don't know what weird things browsers will accept; the only secure solution is to support a subset of HTML, then parse each message, reject anything that's not valid within that subset, and reconstruct the HTML for display. That's what all forums seem to do (except they have non-HTML syntax) - it seems much more robust, and doesn't assume that users won't be more ingenious than the system's programmers :)

• 3 weeks later...

This?

That page links to a technical explanation of how it was written, avoiding all of MySpace's blocks on HTML and JS code - I think it demonstrates that blacklists of dangerous strings can never work, since you don't know what weird things browsers will accept; the only secure solution is to support a subset of HTML, then parse each message, reject anything that's not valid within that subset, and reconstruct the HTML for display. That's what all forums seem to do (except they have non-HTML syntax) - it seems much more robust, and doesn't assume that users won't be more ingenious than the system's programmers :)

Yes, that's the one. BBCode *is* inherently more secure than blacklisted HTML, as you said (great point).

• 2 weeks later...

I hate MySpace. I have two accounts: one personal, one music. I still hate MySpace. The MySpace web application is horribly written, managed, and the MySpace HTML templates were apparently designed by programmers. Oh yeah, there's no support either. Whoever runs MySpace Music thinks "world" music isn't a genre...

Sometime ago, I planned to establish a competing site, Campus Cronies, that would be positioned to focus on connecting students of all schools around the world, but I couldn't interest any programmers to work voluntarily (despite profit-sharing offers.) I continue to hold registration of the domain campuscronies.com.

Myspace does suck. I'm sick of all the gilrs on there whoring themselves, and all the guys loving it. Your fourteen, seriously. I'm also sick of the schools trying to mediate it. I use mine strictly as a way to get the principle and local authorities by me to notice it. I call it Project Made Ya Look. basically my whole page is one big drug reference, so hopefully my principle will see it and ask me about my drug abuse. Haha.

I hate MySpace. I recently found out how many (local) people actually have MySpace accounts. The name sucks. It's not your space if you're sharing it with everyone just to be popular (which nearly everyone does). MySpace is like an excuse for a bunch of stupid people to mosh together and admire their own blandness. All everyone does at school if we go to the computer lab is check their MySpace (my brother happens to have one too >_> )