New design for wood tree in-game selection

Darkcity

I was thinking if we can replace the current UI design of tree selection 

from

Curretn design

To (wireframe)

1110125703_designforwoodtrees.png.887b00a710ab87035493de6040570806.png

Some reason we should do it.

1. The in-frame pic shows which tree have you select currently.
  2. Wood icon instead of build icon tells that this tree is not for building but for wood collection.

Extend use case - If we ever implement the idea of planting forest, then this will be good for diffrentiating platable trees and non-plantables.

@wowgetoffyourcellphonewhat do you think?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 28/08/2022 at 8:09 PM, Darkcity said:

I was thinking if we can replace the current UI design of tree selection 

from

Curretn design

To (wireframe)

1110125703_designforwoodtrees.png.887b00a710ab87035493de6040570806.png

Some reason we should do it.

1. The in-frame pic shows which tree have you select currently.
  2. Wood icon instead of build icon tells that this tree is not for building but for wood collection.

Extend use case - If we ever implement the idea of planting forest, then this will be good for diffrentiating platable trees and non-plantables.

@wowgetoffyourcellphonewhat do you think?

i think the logs portrait makes more sense?

Edited by rossenburg

29 minutes ago, rossenburg said:

I don't think he meant to be offensive, but yeah 'hate' is kinda harsh. @wowgetoffyourcellphone could have putten it in a better way 

It's a joke, last time he complained about that word. that's why use the phrase in quotation marks.

I just wanted him to remember that we can all feel the same about something.

:)

9 小时前,wowgetoffyourcellphone 说:

嗯,一棵树通常是一棵树。 而且游戏中树的唯一用途是它的木材,因此明确它是木材来源比它是什么类型的树或它使用什么演员更重要。

But I think this will make the game more interesting, otherwise we don't need to make a variety of fruit trees, just berry bushes are enough, it is also fun to experience biodiversity and recognize some botanical knowledge from the maps of different geographical environments.

• Like 1

Thats why we have wood icon instead of hammer (build) icon for the tree. If tress only purpose is to give wood and we should show only wood icon then for hunts as well we shouldn;t show animal and only meat icon with food value. But showing the exact animal provide better experience to user and also user can relate to it. 

if fields only purpose is to add food tick and their no need to differentiate beetween rice field and normal 0ad fields, apple trees and other type of food source. 

This new design point is to show what tree he has selected and gives identity to the selected entity with right info.

Now for wireframe I just took atlas image to show the same. It can be designed better way. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AIEND said:

But I think this will make the game more interesting, otherwise we don't need to make a variety of fruit trees, just berry bushes are enough, it is also fun to experience biodiversity and recognize some botanical knowledge from the maps of different geographical environments.

You're experiencing biodiversity in the game world already. The UI is for ease of recognition, conveying data, etc. 

8 hours ago, Darkcity said:

If tress only purpose is to give wood and we should show only wood icon then for hunts as well we shouldn;t show animal and only meat icon with food value.

I'm not against that, except that animals aren't static objects, they can have speed and defensive effects depending on the species. For trees, it makes almost no difference if an oak tree is selected or a maple tree is selected, or even a bush.