cpu lag in game

Wendy22

Intel i9 gen 11: Passmark score depends on the specific model

Intel i9 gen 11: Mersenne score depends on the specific model. i9-9900K @ 3.6 GHz gets 10.43 to 22.44 depending on parameters used

NVidia RTX 3060 Ti: 11700 3DMark 10 score

And, if you're running a benchmark and the temperatures are within the maximum rated operating temperatures, then the PC will likely "take off due to the fans going crazy", and it's normal. If one doesn't consider it normal then it's a noise optimization problem.

What would not be normal is if the temperatures are outside the maximum rated operating temperatures, or else the temperatures and/or fan speeds are too high for the load placed on the system. Some people break their CPU heatsink mounting tabs, which would cause that symptom.

Edited by Norse_Harold
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Could be 0 A.D. making it overheat because of bad fan placement.

Yes. Another possible cause is an undersized CPU heatsink for the TDP (thermal design power) of the particular model of CPU.

When modern CPUs overheat, they temporarily run slower, due to a function called "thermal throttling". It can be detected with software such as

Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility (XTU).